1. Hypothesis: “Dawlish Warren is Managed Effectively”Use your mind map of an effective coastalmanagement scheme to choose3 key questions to investigate. The answerswill help you prove the hypothesis true orfalse.
2. Identify 4/5 geographical concepts that will underpin your project• Processes in the formation and erosion of a spit• Visitor honeypot• Sustainable management• Coastal defences + advantages and problems / environmental impact• Species diversity• Coastal processes Longshore drift / deposition• Hard & Soft engineering strategies• Land use conflicts• Different habitats – beach / sand dunes / mudflats / saltmarsh
3. Plan a minimum of 4/5 methods. You must plan your OWNmethods, create recording sheets and identify / make any recording equipment
4. How much data do you need to collect for it to be meaningful?
5. How will you collect data? Systematic? Stratified? Random? This will need deciding before you go!
6. Where will you collect data and why?Be able to make a map showing fieldwork locations
7. Time / date / weather can all be significant in data collection. Make sure to include them on recording sheets
8. Methods MUST be justified in terms of how they address the hypothesis/ key questions / concepts.
9. Finally, think about how you will present yourresults. Your methods MUST allow you to able to do several of these…• Maps• Well annotated photos and sketches• Data overlays• Graphs and Charts• Cross sections / Beach profiles• Proportional flow diagrams• Choropleth maps• Proportional symbols on maps• Scatter graphs