On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
o Mireia Clares Masdeu and Natàlia Girona Gonzàlez.
o Markree Castle, the Cooper family home for 370 years, has been lovingly restored by the current owner Charles Cooper and his wife Mary to become one of the finest country house hotels in Ireland. Set in a secluded 500 acre estate in County Sligo, peace and relaxation combined with good food, fine wine and old- world charm make a stay at Markree a step back in time.
o The Castle is one of the most exciting historic buildings on the island and displays the collective talents of some of Ireland and England’s most distinguished architects. The parklands were laid out by the distinguished landscape architect, Capability Brown.The Castle was also a settling for a famous historical romance between King GeorgeIV of England and my great, great, great, great grandmother, Elizabeth, the firstMarchioness Conyngham. The King stayed in the Castle in 1821 and it is believed thatthe reason the road from Dublin to Slane is one of the straightest roads in Irelandis because it was so designed to speed him on his journey. He dined in the spectacularGothic Revival Ballroom and the bedroom he slept in is known as the King’s Room tothis day.
o The cliffs of Moher are located just south of the Village of Doolin in Co Clare Ireland. Rising slowly from Doolin they ascend to over 700 feet (213 meters) stretching south for nearly five miles (8km) to Hags head. They are Irelands premier tourist attraction and a must see for anyone visiting Ireland.
o Kilkenny Castle is a castle in Kilkenny, Ireland built in 1195 by William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke to control a fording-point of the River Nore and the junction of several routeways. It was a symbol of Norman occupation and in its original thirteenth-century condition it would have formed an important element of the defences of the town with four large circular corner towers and a massive ditch, part of which can still be seen today on the Parade.
o Originally built in 1185 by King John, Lismore Castle was owned in turn by Sir Walter Raleigh and Richard Boyle, First Earl of Cork, before passing to the Fourth Duke of Devonshire in 1753. The Castle is designed in Gothic style and contains some of the finest examples of domestic Pugin furniture still in private hands. The gardens, laid out over eight acres within the 17th Century outer defensive walls, are believed to be the oldest in Ireland and retain much of their original Jacobean form.
o This dramatic site, on the karstic limestone pavement of the Burren, is one of the most famous Irish dolmens. The name Poulnabrone literally means The hole of the sorrows.The thin capstone sits on two 1.8m high portal stones to create achamber in a 9m low cairn. The eastern portal stone was replacedin 1985, following a discovery that it was unfortunately cracked;excavations during the repair showed that this site dated back toabout 2500 BC.
o Ashford Castle is a medieval castle turned five star luxury hotel near Cong on the Mayo/Galway border in Ireland, on the shore of Lough Corrib. Ashford Castle is a member of the Leading Hotels of the World organization. The castle was built in 1228 by the Anglo-Norman House of Burke following their defeat of the OConnors, the Royal House of Connacht, who are still extant in the person of the OConnor Don.
o Birr Castle is a large castle in the town of Birr in County Offaly, Ireland. It is the home of the seventh Earl of Rosse, and as such the residential areas of the castle are not open to the public, though the grounds and gardens of the demesne are publicly accessible. There has been a castle on the site since 1170, and from the 14th to the 17th century the OCarroll family ruled from here over an area known as "Ely OCarroll“.
o Bunratty Castle is a large tower house in County Clare, Ireland. It lies in the center of Bunratty village, between Limerick and Ennis, near Shannon Town and its airport. The name Bunratty, Bun Raite in Irish, means the bottom or end of the Ratty river. This river, alongside the castle, flows into the nearby Shannon estuary. From the top of the castle, one can look over to the estuary and the airport.The castle and the adjoining folk park are run by Shannon Heritage.
o Portumna Castle, built near the shore of the northern extremity of Lough Derg on the river Shannon in the reign of James I. It was built between 1610 and 1618 at a cost of £10,000. Portumna was one of the first, if not the first, building in the country toadmit some of the Renaissance refinements already common in Italyand France for over a century, but which took so long to filter throughto Ireland. It measures 29.7m by 21.2m and the corner towers are 6.5msquare with gunports. A central corridor 3m wide.
o Malahide Castle, set on 250 acres of park land in the pretty seaside town of Malahide, was both a fortress and a private home for nearly 800 years and is an interesting mix of architectural styles. The Talbot family lived here from 1185 to 1973, when the last Talbot died.