2. Eric Carle Musuem of picture book art Hours and Admission Tuesday through Friday: 10 am – 4 pm Saturday: 10 am – 5 pm Sundays: 12 – 5 pm Adult admission: $9 Youth, Student, Teacher and Senior Admission: $6 In 2002, Eric Carle and his family founded the museum as the first museum in the country devoted to picture book art. The museum houses 3 galleries of Carle’s work, including displays from the “Very Hungry Caterpillar”, “Where the Wild Things Are”, and picture books from around the world. There is also a hands on Art Studio and a library for storytelling and personal reading. Grab lunch at the café or attend a lecture in the auditorium while there as well! 125 West Bay Road Amherst, MA 01002 (Follow Directions to Hampshire College)
3. Mt. Holyoke Range State Park Open Daily Call 413-586-0350 for hours Visitor Center located on Route 116 in Amherst Walking, biking, and horseback riding trails span seven miles from Hadley to Belchertown at this scenic state park. The Mt. Holyoke Range formed 200 million years ago when lava flowed from the valley and cooled. Also, glaciers smoothed the ridge’s in some places and exposing bedrock. An additional 30 miles of marked trails provide a great place for picnicking, hunting, skiing, hiking, or scenic viewing.
4. Bart’s Ice Cream 103 North Pleasant Street Amherst, MA 413-253-9371 Ice Cream and Cafe 96 North Pleasant St. Amherst, MA 413-256-1616 Calzones and Appetizers Antonio’s Pizza 31 North Pleasant Street Amherst, MA 413-253-0808 Pizza Rao’s Coffee 17 Kellog Avenue Amherst, Ma 413-253-9441 Coffee Loose Goose Café 1 East Pleasant Street Amherst, MA 413-549-4667 Soup, Salad, Sandwiches Wings 55 University Dr. Amherst, MA 413-549-9464 Chicken Wings
5. On-Campus Mission: Improvable- UMass Amherst's premiere short-form improv troupe, who performs a variety of improv games. Every Saturday night. Herter Hall Room 231. FREE! Doo Whop Shop: The only all male A-cappella group at UMass. Tunes include “Ghostbusters”, “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room”, “My Girl”, and “For The Longest Time”. Show times and locations to be announced throughout the semester.
6. Bassett Planetarium at Amherst College Open to groups by appointment only. Contact Steve Sauter AC# 2238 008A Earth Sciences Amherst College Amherst, MA Visits are free! “ The history of the Bassett Planetarium is the history of the rise of technology, the quest for Space, and the ingenuity of two Americans, Armand Spitz and Preston Rogers Bassett. ” -Amherst College, History of the Basset Planetarium
7. Northampton Box Office Location and Telephone 76 Main Street Northampton, MA 413-586-8686 or 1.800.THE.TICK Hours Monday - Saturday: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm Sunday: 12:00 am - 5:00 pm The Northampton Box Office provides tickets to shows in and around Amherst and Northampton. Most shows can be seen at the Iron Horse, the Pearl Street Ballroom, and the Calvin Theatre. Recent performers in the area include Brett Dennen, Eric Hutchinson, Dropkick Murphys, State Radio, and Edwin Mccain. Eric Hutchinson at the Pearl Street Ballroom in Northampton.
8. Nightlife Diva’s Nightclub 492 Pleasant Street Northampton, MA Mondays: Closed Tuesdays: Haven, New England’s longest running dark alternatively weekly club night (18+, DJ’s and live bands) Wednesdays: “Drag it Out” Wednesdays (18+, Hip-Hop DJ) Thursdays: Closed Friday: Camouflage Night (18+, Hip-Hop, RNB, Reggaeton DJ) Saturday: Sin Saturday (21+, Top 40 Hits DJ) Sunday: Available for Private Parties Check Website for Special Events! http://divasofnoho.com/events/ Amherst College GAP (Gay Amherst Party) Late October 2009 & Spring 2010 Keep and eye out for dates! http://www3.amherst.edu/~pridealliance/calendar.html
9. Puffer's Pond Puffer’s Pond is the perfect place for swimming, a leisurely lunch, and bathing in the sun. The beautiful waterfall and small sandy beach add to the already scenic view! The pond also doubles as a ice-skating rink in the winter. Its fun the whole year round!
10. Nash Dino Land Location and Telephone Amherst Rd. (off of Route 116) South Hadley, MA 413-467-9566 Hours April 1 through December 1, Monday-Friday: 8:30 am-5 pm Saturday-Sunday: 10 am-5 pm Admission Adults: $3 Children: $2.50 Dig through layers of quarry and find awesome dinosaur prints!