Earth the Water Planet - A Global Overview


Published on

Earth the water planet is a basic introduction to an ecological view of our worldwide water resources. Intended for middle school through adult learners, this program goes through the distribution, goldilocks effect and some physical properties of water. In addition the presentation included a brief look a a couple aspects of climate change, water use/pollution and the link between clean water, health, wealth and population.
Thanks to USGS for providing key facts and images

Published in: Education
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Earth the Water Planet - A Global Overview

  1. 1. Earth – The Water Planet v2.0 Image: NASA jschmied©2016 The “Blue Marble”
  2. 2. The Goldilocks Phenomena – Earth is… Not too hot, not too cold… t it’s just right!t jschmied©2016
  3. 3. Our planet without water Our planet’s geology is constantly changing jschmied©2016
  4. 4. Water covers about 75% of Earth’s surface. This makes Earth one of the more unique planets! Humans Thrive = 17% Grow crops = 4% jschmied©2016
  5. 5. The physical properties of water make life possible. Ice provides: Insulation Ice Floats – Acts like blanket… keeps water below from freezing solid. The benefits of having water in 3 states at once on Earth jschmied©2016
  6. 6. The physical properties of water make life possible. Water vapor moves in the worldwide winds Causing: Transportation Winds transports water, spreading resources across the planet. The benefits of having water in 3 states at once on Earth jschmied©2016
  7. 7. The physical properties of water make life possible. Water provides: Bodies of water moderate the climate, cuts down highs & lows. The benefits of having water in 3 states at once on Earth Moderation jschmied©2016
  8. 8. Every landmass on our planet contains water. Image:©2016
  9. 9. About 97.5% of Earth’s water is in the oceans & is salt water. Water-2-4Images: Corbis Where’s the other 2.5% the drinkable water?
  10. 10. 68.6% of the remaining 2.5% is fresh water… Images: Martin Miller, Bruce Molnia …. stored in Glaciers. (melting) jschmied©2016
  11. 11. 30.1% of the fresh water is groundwater … in underground aquifers jschmied©2016
  12. 12. .…Rivers Streams Marshes etc. 0.13% of all Fresh Water is in Lakes..… jschmied©2015
  13. 13. … and 0.002 percent of Earth's fresh water is in the atmosphere. Image: Digital Stockjschmied©2016
  14. 14.©2016
  15. 15. How much water is available for humans and other animals?©2016
  16. 16. Incoming Solar Energy gets reflected to space by Ice The less ice, the more the Earth heats up The Glaciers & Sea Ice are melting quickly jschmied©2016
  17. 17. Sun’s energy is reflected off cloud tops A warmer Earth means more clouds. Not enough to stop climate change. jschmied©2016
  18. 18. Who has the right to use Earth’s water? Like this? jschmied©2016
  19. 19. Or this…? jschmied©2016
  20. 20. Aral Sea – Diversion of water for “human use” jschmied©2016
  21. 21. Linked: Health, Wealth, Clean Water, & jschmied©2016
  22. 22. jschmied©2016 1900 = 1.6 B 1970 = 3.9 B 2015 = 7.2 B 2050 = >9.2 B Population! jschmied©2016
  23. 23. More People… The Same Amount of Resources… Earth is a limited resource. Image: nasa jschmied©2016 Thanks to the USGS for providing key data, & some Images! The other side of the “Blue Marble:
  24. 24. About the author: John Schmied has been a secondary science & environment teacher for 20 years and is involved in developing practical, yet innovative, hands on curriculum for teens. He has created, developed and manages a 6 acre Environmental Center at his school site. John is also a Chemical Hygiene Officer. John’s presentations have been viewed worldwide & have been in the top 5% of Slideshare for multiple years. During this time John served as the Strategic planner for the Friends of the Hidden River a 501(C)(3) non profit. • Over the past 13 years Friends helped King County, WA design, fund, construct & develop the 14,800 sqft Brightwater Environmental Center in Woodinville WA. • John is the Director & a principal developer of the Ground to Sound STEM Environmental Challenge course, a locally popular cutting edge environmental program that merges, Science, Tech, Art, Multimedia and other disciplines with Leadership studies at the Center Prior to this period John served for 21 years as a Coast Guard Officer, primarily involved in ice, navigation, search and rescue operations. His specialties are Ship handling, Diving, Personnel, & Oceanographic Operations. John can be contacted via Linked In.