1. Twitter for Teachers Presented by: Jennifer L. Scheffer
2. What is Twitter? Microblogging 140 characters Eric Sheninger- Principal Twitter
3. My Twitter Story
4. Why Twitter in Education? Best way to build your Professional Learning Network Allows you to search PEOPLE not the web Connects you to LIKE- MINDED individuals Saves you time!
5. Signing up for Twitter
6. Creating your Profile User name Twitter Handle Bio Who you are What you teach Your philosophy Topics of Interest Use a picture, not an egg!
8. Anatomy of a Tweet1. @mention2. Retweet3. Hashtag4. Direct Message5. Favorite
9. @ mention (aka an @ reply) an @mention used when a person is having a conversation with another twitterer. Use @ mention when referring to other twitter users. This means the other users will be alerted of your conversation. (can be done via phone) You only see @ mentions if you follow both twitterers or you are looking at another person’s tweet timeline.
10. RT (also known as a Retweet) Any tweet starting with “RT” means someone is re-tweeting some one else’s tweet. Used to quickly share tweets by someone else that might contain links, news or anything you think your twitter followers will find interesting.
11. # (Hashtags) Any word starting with the “#” hash symbol is known as a hash tag. Hash tags make it easier to search and follow the twitter conversations on specific topics Serve as a filtering system
12. DM (aka) Direct Message) DM’s are private messages sent from one Twitterer to another. You can only send a DM to a person who follows you; they can only reply to your DM if you also follow them.
13. Twitter Challenge Set up your profile page with bio and picture Find 10 individuals to follow Find 5 organizations to follow Search for a hashtag that has meaning to you Send a Tweet by the first day of school
14. Who Should You Follow? • Teachers • Administrators • Technology Integrators • Researchers • Bloggers • Authors • Speakers • Organizations/Companies
15. Individuals to Followhttp://tomwhitby.wordpress.com/ http://blog.web20classroom.org /http://www.livebinders.com/play/present?id=202342
16. Individuals to Followhttp://ericsheninger.com/esheninger?sid=28http://www.patrickmlarkin.com/
17. Individuals to Followhttp://cybraryman.com/ http://cybraryman.com/newteachers.htmlhttp://www.themobilenative.org/
18. Individuals to Followhttp://theinnovativeeducator.blogspot.com/http://www.livebinders.com/play/play/104566
19. Individuals to Followhttp://willrichardson.com/http://www.livebinders.com/play/play/104566
20. Organizations to Follow
21. How to get Followers Use a picture, not an egg! Start Tweeting! Use a meaningful hashtag Ask questions! @mention & thank the people who follow you
22. Specific Areas/RolesSubject Specific #edchat – education, worldwide, lots of topics#mathchat – mathematics #ntchat – devoted entirely to NEW TEACHERS#scichat – science #ce12 – connected educators#engchat – English #spedchat – Special Ed needs; live chat every Thurs.#artsed – the arts in education 8:30 p.m.#musedchat – music #edapp – educational apps#eltchat – english language teacher #1st5days – what to do the first 5 days#STEM – widely used for posts &resources in STEM education Technology#SSChat – social studies chat #edtech – a very wide range of tweets relating to#RETeacher – Religious Education the use of technology in education.#HistoryTeacher – History #elearning – eLearning topics#GeographyTeacher – Geography #mlearning – the use of mobile technologies in#ASEChat – Association of science and education, also #mobilelearning though this iseducation weekly chat Monday 8-9pm less usedGMT #edapp – educational apps#PhysicsEd – Physics #gbl - games based learning #slide2learn – iDevices and learning #vitalcpd – effective use of technology in the classroom
23. ResourcesThe A-Z Dictionary of Educational Twitter Hashtagshttp://edudemic.com/2011/10/twitter-hashtag-dictionary/http://edudemic.com/2011/10/twitter-hashtag-dictionary/Twitter in Plain English http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddO9idmax0o&feature=player_detailpageTwitter for Beginnershttp://cybraryman.com/twitterforbeginners.htmlhttp://cybraryman.com/twitterforbeginners.htmlThe Twitteraholic’s Ultimate Guide to tweets, hashtags, and all things Twitterhttp://theedublogger.com/2012/02/13/the-updated-twitteraholics-guide-to-tweets-hashtags-and-all-things-twitter/#.http://theedublogger.com/2012/02/13/the-updated-twitteraholics-guide-to-tweets-hashtags-and-all-things-twitter/#.UCsPQCj1YWs.twitterEducation IT Blogshttp://www.edtechmagazine.com/k12/article/2012/06/honor-roll-50-must-read-k-12-education-it-blogshttp://www.edtechmagazine.com/k12/article/2012/06/honor-roll-50-must-read-k-12-education-it-blogsEducational Technology and Mobile Learninghttp://www.educatorstechnology.com/2012/10/twitter-for-professional-development.html?m=1Top 14 Educational Technology Tweeters to Followhttp://www.educatorstechnology.com/2012/08/top-14-educational-technology-tweeters.html