Si He Yuan四合院
Chinese Traditional Houses
• 四合院 along with Hutong are the part of Chinese culture in
• A Hutong is an ancient city alley or lane typical in Beijing, where
hutongs run into the several thousand. It means street, lane and
alley and is in fact the passage formed by lines of siheyuan where
most Beijing residents live.
Siheyuan gate is usually at the southeastern corner according to the
traditional concepts of the five elements. Normally there is a screen-wall
inside the gate so that outsiders cannot see directly into the courtyard and
it is also believed to protect the houses from evil spirits. Large siheyuan,
there is a pair of stone lions on each side.
Siheyuan and Hutong
Inside a siheyuan house. There are no bathroom and
kitchen originally designed for it.
High-Rising Buildings in China
• Today, high-rising buildings are common in China. There
are luxurious apartments and the apartment for low-
New Houses in Beijing Suburb area
• This is a housing track built in 2005. Most of its
residents are upper middle income earners.
The Entrance to the Apartment
• There are security system installed. Codes are needed
for entering the gate.