Magnetism 1.1 And 1.2 Csrq NotesDocument Transcript
Electricity and Magnetism (Book N); Use pages 6-19N (Sections 1 and 2) to answer the questions below:
Use the CSRQ method to answer the questions on page 5 of your journal. (Complete sentences and
restate the question)
1. Draw a magnet with a north and a south pole and explain what makes a magnet.
2. How was magnetism first discovered?
3. What are magnetic poles and how do they interact with each other?
4. Where is the magnetic force the greatest on a magnet? Draw and label Fig. 4 on page 9 showing
the lines around a magnet.
5. What particles are found in an atom and which particle is responsible for the magnetic
properties of a substance?
6. How is the magnetic field produced in an atom?
7. What is the magnetic domain and how are domains arranged in materials that are not magnetic
and materials that are magnetic? Draw a diagram along with your explanation.
8. What happens to the domains in iron filings that line up with the magnetic field of a bar
9. How can magnets be changed? How are temporary magnets and permanent magnets alike?
How are they different?
10. Refer to figure 11 on page 19 and draw and label a diagram showing what would happen if a
magnet were cut. Begin with 1 bar magnet and cut it in half, cut those magnets in half, and cut
those magnets in half. (you will end with 15 total magnets)