2. Introduction of the FinancialCrisis We continue to face a global economic crisis that began in U.S markets in 2007. Nearly 5 years later our economy is still struggling to recover. Has affected almost every country in the world. This is the first “Global Recession”
3. What Actually Caused theFinancial Crisis? The following were the main reasons markets collapsed in 2007: Cheap Money Lax Credit Booming Housing Market New Financial Products Huge Enconomic Deficits
4. What I took from the“Occupy” Experience Gave me a notion of what people actually understood, and what they don’t. I felt like many people didn’t really know what the cause of the financial crisis was, and just blamed it on Wall Street.
5. How do we begin to solve thefinancial crisis? Most viable solution would be for Government to encourage businesses to re-invest in the U.S. Economy through: Hub Zones Tax Breaks Publicity Inflow of cheap funds to money markets.
6. Great Pacific Garbage Patch• Trash trapped by the North Pacific currents • Pelagic plastics, chemical sludge, and other debris• Estimated size: up to 5,800,000 sq. miles – 8.1% of the pacific ocean• Located between 135 degrees W and 155 degrees W
7. What I learned Most of the environmental issues we see today can be linked to consumption 37 percent of species could become extinct due to climate change Our constant need for consumption has led us to the current state of corporate corruption Occupy Wall Street
8. Reflection of Project Connection of our consumerist culture and current state of affairs First hand view of Occupy Austin Movement Trash kills We are the problem, not the CEOs. Stop consuming, they don’t get paid
9. My Research Global Financial Crisis of 2008 Financial gap between classes Occupy Movements Wide variety of opinions
10. What I learned FinancialCrisis did not affect just the United States Small steps in education can be the solution People are not willing to change
11. My Semester Research Consumerism is caused by us We cannot accept a simple life Impossible to stop, we can only improve
12. Occupy Austin Experience Starting to die down Most people were just looking for something to do Some did have legitimate causes