Replace this with_that_global_change

  • 100 views
Uploaded on

 

  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Be the first to comment
    Be the first to like this
No Downloads

Views

Total Views
100
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1

Actions

Shares
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
0

Embeds 0

No embeds

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
    No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. Boolean logic coupled with a common command language search is helpful• The beginning retrieve is very important, in cases where you are adding a subject heading or subdivision it is important to filter out what you are adding in order to not get duplicate subject headings and/or subdivisions; For instance if I wanted to add the subject heading Sustainability to records that have the subject heading Sustainable architecture I would need to find the records that don’t already have both those headings; words in subject = sustainable architecture NOT words in subject = sustainability which translates to “wsu=sustainable architecture NOT wsu=sustainability” in Aleph, this search would then give me records that don’t have both subject headings; when the subject heading Cookery changed to become Cookbooks or Cooking, in order to not change something about cooking to cookbooks I used the title search cookbook (and cook book, not knowing what form the title might use) and recipes (coupled with the subject search) thinking that many cookbooks have either of these words in their title (this of course would/will miss a few … the Joy of cooking for one but the great majority would be fixed and not confused);
  • 2. Again, common command language searching is your friend; wsu is words in subject and wtt is words in title; wsu=cookery AND wtt=cookbook OR wsu=cookery AND wtt=cook book OR wsu=cookery AND wtt=recipe; one can make a long string in order to avoid the need to cross files; I used the above retrieve because Cookerybecame Cooking or Cookbooks and I did not want to change something that should be Cooking into Cookbooks (while not infallible, there will be some mistakes) In the 01 Library; Services; Retrieve Catalog Records; Retrieve Records Using CCL (ret-03)
  • 3. Double check that your retrieve actually has results and isn’t empty; to do this you can “do” a print to test if your retrieve is populated; you do not need to actually print it Successful retrieve
  • 4. Do a test Global Change first; which is indicated by the radio button set to “no” under the “Update database” section of the “manage-21” or Global change 01 Library; Services; Catalog Maintenance Procedures; Global Changes (manage-21) Update database %24%24aCookery%24%24 is the new way to symbolizesubfield in the Aleph Report function
  • 5. When the Global Change test is finished Aleph creates a report (it is what you named your output file) thatillustrates what will/would have been changed; it is found in the File List in the Task manager/“cup” menu on the far left;
  • 6. After you look over the “test” Global change report and find it satisfactory, go back and set the radio button to “yes” Update Database; Even though the batch log in the Task Manager states that your global change hasbeen successful the records have not all been changed yet, you need to give it time (according to how big your beginning file is/was; large global change files should be scheduled to begin at night when library is closed in order to not crash the system