• Improvisation takes more than just
creativity, it takes structure
• Create a story
• Know various licks!
• Motifs can be made from licks
• Motifs will help listeners understand the
story you are trying to tell
• Tunes are structured using motifs
Example from melody of a tune
Miles Davis: Relaxin with Miles
If I Were a Bell, by Frank Loesser
How to learn!
• Here is a lick
• The lick is very simple
• The lick highlights a cmaj chord
• Resolves on root
• Constructed by resolving on chord tones
• Some licks can resolve on tensions
• These are harder to master
• If a lick sounds good, then it
Licks should be proficient in all keys
Take time to play hard keys slow
Licks can also be useful for fast lines!