Organic Chemistry Quiz/Paragraph
Use the following words to write a paragraph IN YOUR OWN WORDS. Your notes packet
and web will be invaluable for this process. You do not need to define every word,
instead use them to make a concise paragraph that summarizes what you learned in this
section. Underline or highlight each word below as you use it in your paragraph.
I will get you started….”Organic chemistry is the study of carbon containing molecules
important to living things. These organic molecules contain hydrogen…….”
Organic chemistry Fructose Plant only
Organic molecules Galactose Unsaturated
Hydrogen Isomers Glycerol
Carbon C6H12O6 Fatty acids
Oxygen Disaccharides Saturated
Nitrogen Sucrose protein
Monomer Lactose Amino acids
Polymer maltose Twenty
Polymerization Polysaccharides Peptide bond
Dehydration synthesis Starch Enzymes
Water Cellulose reactions
Glucose Animal only
Answer the following in complete sentences using your notes.
1. What is a monomer?
2. What is a polymer?
3. What functions do carbohydrates serve?
4. What is dehydration synthesis?
5. What is the formula for monosaccharide and disaccharides??What molecules share this formula?
6. Explain how 2 monosaccharides are joined together to form a disaccharide.
7. Name the monosaccharides that make up maltose, lactose, and sucrose.
8. Name the 3 major polysaccharides. What type of living things would use each for glucose storage?
9. How are polysaccharides broken down into monosaccharides?
10. What is an isomer? Give an example.
11. What are the functions of lipids in your body? Do they contain more or less energy than carbohydrates when
they are broken down?
12. What are the monomers of a fat molecule?
13. Give the main functions fats and state where they are found in your body.
14. What is the general structure of an amino acid (hint – talk about the three main parts)?
15. What type of bond connects amino acids together in a peptide chain?
16. What functions do proteins serve in your body (describe at least 3)?