SimWare: creating simulators
SimWare is a simulation framework for creating new simulators from scratch
• Create new simulators without seeing any code
• Care only about data model
• Simulation backbone is DDS
1. Modeler: Data modeling from the FOM
HLA data model
Modeler is the tool for modelling data HLA-Style
Objetcs and interactions
HLA data types
Data models can be saved and loaded
The tool generates the data library automatically
Output of the Modeler: Library in DDS
Modeler has three outputs:
Library (DLL or SO) representing data
Integrated in NCWare SIM
XML data for GPGUI: For controlling simulation
XML data for SimDeveloper: For inputs&outputs of the
2. SimDeveloper: Simulation models you can really reuse
Based on Matlab/Simulink for making your simulation models inside SimWare framework
Build your simulation modules with all the power of Matlab/Simulink
Test your simulation logic
Reuse your simulation modules
You don´t need
Output of SimDeveloper: Simulation models and services
Recipe for success
Create model in Mathlab
Add the data interface (xml) created with Modeler
Create a library (dll or so)
Modify configuration file
Control it from SimEngine
We just need to add three
1. Publishers and subscribers
2. Methods for control of
state machine (using DDS)
3. Methods for creating
3. Simware PowerLink: Data bridge made easy
HLA Mäk federation
HLA PITCH federation
No programming skills are
SimWare: managing simulators
SimWare is a simulation framework for managing new simulators and old
simulators in joint simulation
• Manage your new
• Control the
instances of the
• Manage old
simulators in joint
1. eHost: Simulation management
<EJEC nid="2" id="3" name="EJEC" HlaFed="Aislado"
HlaSom="Som.xml" SchedFrec="25" HTime="5" GTime="3"
TTime="0" UTime="3" NotIni="no" NotFin="no" NotCierre="no"
Critico="si" NotGrab="si" />
- <EHOST4 nid="2" id="4" name="MOTOR1" SchedSecuencial="si"
NotIni="si" NotFin="si" NotCierre="no" Critico="si" NotGrab="si">
<Mod0 nid="2" id="16" name="Modulo_ModCIRCLE"
type="Modulo_ModCIRCLE" SchedFrec="50" SchedOrden="0"
SchedPrio="1" SchedOffset="0" NotIni="no" NotDisc="no"
NotEstab="no" NotFin="si" NotCierre="no" Critico="si" NotGrab="si"
Scheduler: Is an advanced scheduler for controlling the real time clock
and the state machine. It coordinates and balances many Simulation
Engines that are in different nodes.
Simulation Engines: Are the simulation engines, manage the Simulation
modules in each simulation node.
Key element of ehost: Configuration file
Scheduler reads the file
- Send data to SimEngine: Know what models to load
- Send data to ACS: Know what panels to use for create instances
- Send tick time during runtime
Sections of the file
- Frequency of simulation
- Configuration/layout of
- Panels for ACS
- Other information:
- Models that create models
- Info for specific COTS data
2. ACS: Application to Control Simulations
ACS—Application to Control SimWare simulations, is a GUI that allows to
manage SimWare state machine and simulation assets’ parameters during
SimWare: joint simulations
With SimWare you can manage joint simulator of existing HLA
and DIS simulators
• Connect and
• Add DDS live
SimWare RTI : The first RTI to join DDS with HLA RTI
HLA Run Time Infrastructure designed for real
time performance in large federations
IEEE 1516 HLA API for virtual and live
Use DDS for Data Distribution functionality
of an HLA RTI with the features, performance,
power and reliability of OMG DDS standard
No gateways needed to connect HLA to DDS
Full HLA services support as required in virtual
& live simulations
• NOGESI proyect has been the test bed and proof of
concept of SimWare architecture
• SimWare Lab has evolved as test bed and
integration laboratory for SimWare
• SimWare Framework has evolved:
• NCWare SIM: Improved support for multiple instances of the
simulation objects and interactions.
• SimDeveloper: Ability to integrate simulation assets HLA and DDS
session directly from the Simulink environment, without code
• Modeler: Improved compatibility between HLA data models and
DDS models, to automatically generate gateways.
• Powerlink: Generation of gateways DIS, adding mapping between
DDS and PDUs models defined in the IEEE 1278.1A-1998.
SimWare RTI II
• SimWare RTI has evolved:
• SimWare RTI: Full support of the HLA standard
1516, including DDM services, time
management, and management of the
federation. Full ownership transfer service.
• Full HLA implementation
SimWare LSA: the future
• SimWare future evolution goes to LSA:
• New developments in model reusability.
• DIS over DDS.
• Changes in HLA architecture.
• Open services layer.
Please address any questions about this presentation to:
José Ramón Martínez Salio
Technical Presales Director
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.