Write a short essay (4-5 paragraphs) about an
American value (question following). You will use
your American Ways book as a resource. You
• Write legibly
• Include in-text citations (author’s family name,
“title of article”)
– ie: (Kearny Datesman, et al, 223)
• Define and explain a specific American value.
Give examples of you have observed this value
existing in everyday life. Contrast this value
with your own culture and how things are
done differently in your culture.
• Compare/Contrast Essay Structure
• Introduction with hook, transition, and clear
• Clear topic sentences and focused body
paragraphs. Transitions between each
• Conclusion with rephrased thesis and clear
• Use of complex sentence structure and
In-Text Citations and Note Care
• You must use at least two in-text citations
which includes author name and page
• You will use the notecard provided to have
your resource info during the exam.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.