Atomic Bomb
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

Atomic Bomb

on

  • 1,219 views

 

Statistics

Views

Total Views
1,219
Views on SlideShare
1,117
Embed Views
102

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
34
Comments
0

4 Embeds 102

http://moodle.gcsny.org 89
http://www.slideshare.net 10
http://www.gcsny.org 2
http://translate.googleusercontent.com 1

Accessibility

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

Atomic Bomb Atomic Bomb Presentation Transcript

  • Atomic Bomb
  • Little Boy Fat Man Hiroshima Nagasaki August 6, 1945 August 9, 1945
  • Distance from Killed Injured Population Ground Zero (km) 0 -1.0 86% 10% 31,200 1.0 - 2.5 27% 37% 144,800 2.5 - 5.0 2% 25% 80,300 Total 27% 30% 256,300
  • Distance from Killed Injured Population Ground Zero (km) 0 - 1.0 88% 6% 30,900 1.0 - 2.5 34% 29% 27,700 2.5 - 5.0 11% 10% 115,200 Total 22% 12% 173,800
  • Explosive Blast Much of the damage inflicted by a nuclear explosion is the result of its shock wave. There are two components to a blast's shock wave. First, there's the wall of pressure that expands outward from the explosion. It is this pressure, measured in psi (pounds per square inch), that blows away the walls from buildings. A typical two-story house subjected to 5 psi would feel the force of 180 tons on the side facing the blast. (Download the Quicktime movie entitled house to see an example of a building subjected to this type of pressure.) Additionally, the blast creates a 160 mile-an-hour wind. And that's only at 5 psi. The wind speed following a 20 psi blast would be 500 mph!
  • Direct Nuclear Radiation A nuclear detonation creates several forms of nuclear, or ionizing, radiation. The nuclear fission (atom splitting) and nuclear fusion (atom combining) that occur to produce the explosion release, either directly or indirectly, neutrons, gamma rays, beta particles, and alpha particles. Neutrons are heavy particles that are released from atoms' nuclei. These tiny "missiles" can easily penetrate solid objects. Another penetrating form of radiation is gamma rays, which are energetic photons. Both of these types of radiation can be deadly. Beta and alpha particles are less dangerous, having ranges of several meters and several centimeters, respectively. Alpha particles can cause harm only if they are ingested.
  • Thermal Radiation If you're seven miles away from a one megaton explosion, the heat emanating from the fireball will cause a first-degree burn (equivalent to a bad sunburn ) to any exposed skin facing the light. If you're six miles away, it will cause second-degree burns. And if you're five miles away, the thermal radiation will cause third-degree burns -- a much more serious injury that would require prompt medical attention.
  • Fallout You've seen the image: a mushroom cloud created by a nuclear explosion. Produced with a detonation at or near the earth's surface, this type of explosion results in far- ranging radioactive fallout. Earth and debris -- made radioactive by the nuclear explosion -- rises up, forming the mushroom cloud's stem. Much of this material falls directly back down close to ground zero within several minutes after the explosion, but some travels high into the atmosphere. This material will be dispersed over the earth during the following hours, days, months. In fact, some of the particles rising up through the mushroom will enter the stratosphere, where they could remain for tens of years.
  • Distance: 30 miles Much more than a lethal dose of radiation. Death can occur within hours of exposure. About 10 years will need to pass before levels of radioactivity in this area drop low enough to be considered safe, by U.S. peacetime standards. Distance: 90 miles A lethal dose of radiation. Death occurs from two to fourteen days. Distance: 160 miles Causes extensive internal damage, including harm to nerve cells and the cells that line the digestive tract, and results in a loss of white blood cells. Temporary hair loss is another result. Distance: 250 miles Causes a temporary decrease in white blood cells, although there are no immediate harmful effects. Two to three years will need to pass before radioactivity levels in this area drop low enough to be considered safe, by U.S. peacetime standards.