Tourism in Australia
Key Challenges and Threats of tourism
Tourism contribution to the functioning of cities
Tourism destruction to the functioning of cities
0 Domestic and International
0 Domestic tourism accounts for almost three-
quarters of tourism's direct contribution to total
GDP (76 per cent), with the remaining 24 per cent
contributed by international tourism.
PEPJFVJPItKAJ TCE 2009410
02 2009 Qd 2009 ` ` Ql 2010
45% Q* 44% 44-» m
m em ; me y
3194i 31'# 31s ; na
30% ` à " 'à ` ' ' ~
15%} . Im 150e 'Im'
159; 1396 - : : : : - -
0% í í í í í í -
Business Major events Drive tourism Backpadcer/ High end] Mid range Law mdl
Events youth travel luxury travel travel budget travel
9 Highly Volatile industry
'i Exchange rate fluctuations of Australia dollar, weather
changes, oil price fluctuations and global issues all
have the potential to threaten Australia's tourism
ü In form of consumer confidence, demand for holidays,
as well as the Viability of tourism businesses and jobs.
Iiíigíêie 'fifi. a_i: i;ifiittai T i
Change (RHS, 96]
Arrivals (LHS, mil) 25
4 4 Sydney Olympics
i J 15
f Global Financial Crisis
3 3 1 i. 10
T» - [/ i/I . .
E v. 4 T 5
“i / UJ i
1 i a
ZW / / l -5
Pilots strike Asian linancialcrisis Sept 11 Bali bomb`ng SARS
1981 1983 1985 1987 1989 1991 1993 1995 1997 1999 2001 2003 2005 ZEXJ7
Source: Australian Bureau ol Statistics Overseas Arrívals and Departures, Australia (ABS Cat. No. 3401.0]
i iricfí içiêezi ir
t' Tourism has been a noteworthy factor behind the growth of
Australia's economy, it contributes significantly to Australia's Gross
Domestic Product and creates extensive employment opportunities in 3
a broad range of fields ranging from accommodation, transport,
theme parks, tour operators, restaurants, museums and souvenir
retailers. Also, it provides infrastructures for businesses and the local s
However, these economic benefits are considerably diminished by the
potential socioeconomic or environmental costs borne by the
community from the activities of tourists.
Consequently, Heritage tourism and/ or Ecotourism should be
encouraged to preserve Australia's natural environment and culture,
in order to maintain its appeal to the international market.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.