On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
Top 10 reasons your next pathfinder should be a wiki
1. You too can get your colleagues to fall on the floor laughing by overusing words like wiki in pretty much every conversation you initiate.
2. You can decorate wiki pathfinders by uploading beautiful, copyright-friendly images
3. Wiki pathfinders allow you to link with ease. Link to your style sheet, your other wikis, to specific websites, to media in all its glory and all its formats, to e-books, audiobooks, wikibooks, subscription databases, etc. (If not for my pathfinders, my e-books and my databases would go unused!)
4. Wiki pathfinders allow you to easily upload documents. Your pathfinders can now host your presentations, your handouts, your rubrics, your organizers, as well as models of student work.
5. You can easily create a wiki index to keep track of your growing collection of wiki pathfinders.
6. Wiki pathfinders are splendidly organic. You can edit them anywhere, on the fly, whenever you discover a new resource. FTP is so 1.0!
7. Wikis require no knowledge of HTML code. My favorite wiki creation tool is Wikispaces for teachers. The folks are Wikispaces give teachers free, ad-free wiki sites.
8. Wikis are collaborative documents. They make a party of the pathfinder experience. Now, you no longer have to do your pathfinder thing alone. Wikis allow you to invite individual collaborators (teachers or students or mentors or experts) or, if you are brave, to allow the world to collaborate. You can easily track edits and changes. (It’s all very 2.0.)
9. Wikis will allow us to build together if we choose to. I can imagine beginning many a wiki pathfinder this summer. I can imagine all of you millions of readers, who share our school’s curriculum interests and needs, collectively working to build uberpathfinders. (Imagine all the people, building pathfinders together. You may say I'm a dreamer. . . )
10. And, speaking of 2.0, wiki pathfinders are the ultimate illustration of exploiting new tools for authentic and highly useful purposes. Our wiki pathfinders might just be another opportunity to showcase the work of the critical efforts of teacher-librarian in the 2.0 educational landscape!