4. Is it… R ural I noculation A ssociation? R are I sotope A ccelerator? R oyal I nstitute of A cting R ampantly I nept A lien? R oyally I diotic A nnoyance? R eally I nane A cronym? R ich I nternet A pplication?
5. What is a R ich I nternet A pplication?
6. RIA for me is all about expanding the experience for the user. Those "gray beards" amongst us remember the old days of just being happy seeing plain, static text show up in the browser . We've come a long way since then. While dynamic web sites have pushed us way beyond the simple pages of the old days, RIA is helping us now provide the same level of dynamic interaction on the client side as well. I think this is wonderful as it improves the entire process (server and client)! While we have a great opportunity here to help users, the challenge is to not actually make things more difficult . Like any new feature, the web is rife with examples of poorly designed and hard to use applications. It is not enough to learn how to make HTTP requests and change content dynamically, but rather how to do it well in ways that help the user and not scare them off. Raymond Camden http://www.insideria.com/2008/01/what-is-ria-1.html
7. But the term still begs the question: Rich in what sense? Responsiveness, immediacy, convenience? production values, chrome, animation? http://www.insideria.com/2008/01/what-is-ria-1.html Christian Crumlish
8. <ul><li>Rich Internet applications (RIA) are web applications that have the features and functionality of traditional desktop applications . RIAs typically transfer the processing necessary for the user interface to the web client but keep the bulk of the data (i.e., maintaining the state of the program, the data, etc.) back on the application server . </li></ul><ul><li>RIAs typically: </li></ul><ul><li>run in a web browser , or do not require software installation </li></ul><ul><li>run locally in a secure environment called a sandbox </li></ul>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Internet_application
9. Back Button and Refresh Visual Vocabulary State management Browser Sandbox Business Logic in UI Component Level Logic Animation new for Desktop Developers new for Web Developer What’s different with RIA? Limited Runtime Service Orientation Non-text based layout Hype
10. Ubiquity Richness Next Generation
11. SharePoint ASP.NET+AJAX Gadgets Silverlight Infopath OBA Winforms WPF XNA Ubiquity Richness Next Generation