1. What areWhat areFilipinosFilipinosLike?Like?Leon Ma. Guerrero
2. Leon Ma. Guerrero
3. He was one of theforemostnationalists of thisera. A partner in thelaw practice ofSenator Claro M.Recto, he becameUndersecretary ofForeign Affairsduring theMagsaysayadministration.
4. On retirement, he was thecountrys most senior diplomat,having been Ambassador inLondon, Madrid, New Delhi, MexicoCity and Belgrade. On 19 June1982 he received the GawadMabini -the highest award in thePhilippine Foreign Service.He held the rank of Knight GrandCross of the Knights of Rizal.Among his many works areinternationally acclaimedtranslations of Rizals Noli MeTangere and El Filibusterismo.
5. What are Filipinos Like?What are Filipinos Like?Leon Ma. Guerrero
6. What doforeigners sayaboutFilipinos?
7. Filipinos are...• Friendly - good-natured• loyal - idealistic• Sentimental - socially gracious• more intelligent than the Malays• religious but not so mystical asthe Indians• imitative but less so than theJapanese
8. Filipinos are...• unwilling to acceptresponsibility• lacking in self-reliance• less hardworking than theChineseand, in general,...•the most adaptable of allraces in the Orient.
9. A Spaniard thought Filipinoswere very like the Spanish.
10. An American thought Filipinos werenot American enough. They alsocannot understand why grown-upsons and daughters keep on livingwith their parents after they havemarried.
11. A Frenchman remarkedthat Filipinos were theonly people in Asia with asense of humor.
12. A Chinese thought Filipinoswere improvident.
13. An Indonesian criticizedFilipinos for immediatelyaccepting Westernstandards.
14. A Siamese said Filipinoswere pretentious.
15. Other nations triedto“save” us…
16. Spaniards believed thatthey were rescuing usfrom agents of Satan.
17. Americans proclaimed theirpurpose to civilize us,Christianize us, and liberate usfrom the Spaniards.
18. Japanese announcedthat they come to free usfrom the Americans.
19. They were allfighting over us!Yet in the end…
20. saveourselvesWe have managed tosurvive in thissolicitude, and to learnthat in the end wemust