1. GRADE 8LEARNINGSTANDARDSIgnatius Joseph N Estroga, MA-Eng.Session 3Session 3
2. ◦ give us a picture ofwhat to teach◦What students know andwhat they can do out of itStandards
3. ◦Listening Comprehension◦oral language fluency◦vocabulary enhancement◦reading andcomprehension◦Literature
4. ◦viewing comprehension◦Writing◦grammar awareness andstructure◦study strategies◦attitude towards language,literacy and literature
5. Listening ComprehensionListen for important points signaled by stress,intonation, phrasing, pacing, tone, and non-verbal cues that serve as carriers of meaning inspecific situations.Employ projective listeningstrategies when listening todescriptive and longer narrativetexts.
6. Listening ComprehensionListen to validate information,opinion, or assumption in orderto participate well in a specificcommunicative context orsituation.
7. oral language fluencyVary the stress, intonation, phrasing, pacing, andtone while reading orally from a preparedmanuscript, delivering prepared lines in aperformance script, or re-enacting an episode orscene.Use appropriate verbal and non-verbalstrategies to animate a written script forpurposes of delivering information or executinga dramatic piece and other performancespeech forms.
8. oral language fluencyProvide structured feedbackon the quality of spokendiscourse based on aprepared manuscript orperformance script.
9. vocabulary enhancementEstablish the meaning of words andexpressions as they are used in discoursestructures and patterns.Use context clues and structural analysis toarrive at the meaning of words andexpressions.
11. reading and comprehensionOrganize prior knowledge concerningthe topic of reading or viewing selectionusing a variety of graphic organizers.Respond to information from a reading orviewing selection through the use of oralor written short response formats anddifferentiated group performance tasks.
12. reading and comprehensionIdentify dominant literarydevices and figures ofspeech that add color andheighten meaning in thereading or viewing selection.
13. Reading Comprehension Skills◦Shout the skillsyou know!
14. Jack and Jill
15. viewing comprehension◦Demonstrate understanding of the different texttypes and genres of programs viewed toeffectively derive information and find meaningin them◦Validate mental images of theValidate mental images of theinformation conveyed by a programinformation conveyed by a programviewedviewed
16. Literature◦Discover literature as a means ofunderstanding the human being andthe forces he/she to contend with◦Discover through literature the linksDiscover through literature the linksbetween one’s life and the lives of peoplebetween one’s life and the lives of peoplethroughout the worldthroughout the world
17. Parallel Text
18. WritingDistinguish betweeninformational and artisticstances in written discourse andthe specific properties of eachstance.Identify common language patterns thatexist in specific written discourse
19. grammar awareness andstructure1.Understands well constructed paragraphs, its structures andexpressions2.Demonstrates understanding in grammatically correctsentences3.Uses standard English conventions in interactions andtransactions; have a good command and facility toproduce in different genres
20. study strategies◦Exchange and process informationsynchronously or asynchronouslywith peers and other persons forpurposes of expandingunderstanding, limiting inquiry, andbalancing views or opinions.
22. attitude towards language,literacy and literatureExhibit the initiative to innovateindependently or in cooperation with othersin designing, presenting, and sharingexpected outputs of creative and criticalthinking concerning language, literacy, andliterature.
23. ◦1. Listening Comprehension◦2.oral language fluency◦3. vocabulary enhancement◦4. reading and comprehension◦5.Literature◦6. viewing comprehension◦7. Writing◦8. grammar awareness and structure◦9. study strategies◦10. attitude towards language,literacy and literature