Director, Library Futures Innovative Interfaces, Inc.
• Empower librarians dreaming big and creating
an inspirational futures
• Secure robust roles for libraries in the future
• Keep libraries a remarkable part of the
Spaces will take
& the Entrepreneur
Libraries & Start Ups
Librarians as Entrepreneurs (intrepreneurs)
Libraries & Start up Culture
The Library & the City
The Library and the City
City innovation projects parallel a library mission
Do your most creative.
And bring us all along
Connected Smart Cars
• As platform for content/service
• As interactive agents
– A sender of signals – means alert the library etc
that it is within access range
– - an extension of mobile ambient location apps?
FAA panel says (non connected) devices will be safe to
use on most parts of flights.
• Process reflects our struggle to catch up policy to
• Sometimes change takes time for valid reasons.
Example of working in rules valid in the past.
Amazon Kindle Matchbook
• Bought the print edition? Now
also get the e copy for less.
• Could be reverse …
• Reflects cross format reading
More streaming of traditionally print media
A new gap that librarians can
fill, advocate for the digital
Twitter trying private messaging for news sharing?
DMs to counter tweet drowning?
Maturation of media partnerships
Social profitable with Media partnerships
• Twitter and ratings
– Sharknado effect
• Facebook sending TV networks Weekly Data
on Chatter about their Programs
Are we so
book services etc?
In competition w/ Netflix/Hulu, CBS is promoting
Video on Demand the day After Shows Air
• Expansion/acceptance of viewing on demand
• Another Napster moment for TV
• Amount of TV watched on demand rose >40%
• And yet – broadcast TV is not dead
Drones + ecommerce delivery + Student services platform
• New tech leads to experiments
• Regulation context – Public perception.
• Content as test case - “if you can deliver a
textbook, then things such as urgent medical
deliveries, … and other e-commerce will be
much more viable.” (Ahmed Haider, CEO of Zookal, co-founder of
Little Mermaid Second Screen Live
BYOD content engagement encouraged
The Second “Screen” as cross format
• Audible.com (owned by
• Original content
• New cross format
partnership – video to
“There will definitely be some boats that will be
rocked by this.” – Google search algorithm updated
Analyst Sameet Sinha - http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/09/26/google-overhauls-search-engine/2877491/
“Food, Water, Shelter and Facebook”
“Connection is a profound and
(Matthew Lieberman - "Social: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Connect")
Article in Aljazeera America by Carlin Flora
Never underestimate the power of
a social (mobile) librarian.
I too check my tweets before my phone in the morning
http://tumblr.thefjp.org/post/63761388198/mapping-internet-populations-and-digital-divide - By the Oxford Internet Institute
Geographical space represents absolute size of
each country’s online population. Color refers to
the % of its overall population online.
Latin America hosts almost as many Internet users as the US
Global mobile penetration is nearly billion subscribers
China, India, and Japan
have more internet users
than Europe and North
“The price of oil just went up because traders misread a tweet”
Hash tag literacy ?
Vine – micro
- Hyper Short Video & Creative Economy – The Loop
– Mobile – Gif Economy
PC sales drop tied to iPad growth
“Traditional PC Shipments to Decline 10.6 Percent in
2013, While Tablet Shipments Increase 67.9 Percent”
“Reading Literary Fiction Improves
Theory of Mind” – Science
• “experiments showing that reading literary fiction led to
better performance on tests of affective ToM”
• Reading is social because you enter an imaginary social
• Libraries and people intelligence
• A rethinking of value from traditional librarian intelligences
With reach comes reflection
The Jungle of our time?
Our profession often focuses on the
societal impact of new tech areas.
TV still a dominant screen – Mobile as source Implications for screen projection – new life for the 1st
screen – screen sharing – battle for the living room – a
new old platform for the library –
A country’s lack and a service
the Library can fill
“technical skills needed
for a modern workplace”
including ““problemsolving in technology-rich
environments,” on using
digital devices to find and
e, and perform common
"very first data storage system" may have been discovered
- Wall Street use – The Impermanence of Messages - Library
Archiving Issues? – Communication Around Pictures – From
cultural norms to communication assets –
- people do want default of privacy in apps – Providing
reference in Snapchat
Trend of auto
Story of Missed Value Moby Dick and the Librarian
Stability Amidst Tech Change our Brand?
• Slow TV
• Slow fashion –
– Zady (… vision: to combat the fast-fashion craze by providing a
platform for only those companies that care about timeless style and
solid construction.” – Looks out for producers and consumers)
• Slow food
• Appropriate slant for libraries?
What I need from you Give us (more) examples
we can strive towards.
The joy & inspiration libraries
bring just by having a familiar title