Strategy 102 Research & Insights (Strategic Planners' Workshop- 4As/ 95%Academy)

2,308
-1

Published on

To a normal person, research is just data. But to a skilled planner, it tells a story that reveals a powerful, actionable insight. This talk explains the difference between an observation and an insight, and guides planners to realize the importance of using both the left and right hemispheres of their brains to make complicated things simple.

This is an enhanced version of a talk given during the Strategic Planners Workout- a training conducted by the 95% Academy on behalf of the 4As.

Published in: Business, Health & Medicine
3 Comments
16 Likes
Statistics
Notes
No Downloads
Views
Total Views
2,308
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
2
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
162
Comments
3
Likes
16
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Strategy 102 Research & Insights (Strategic Planners' Workshop- 4As/ 95%Academy)

  1. 1. The Art & Science of Research & Insights The Art & Science of Research & Insights
  2. 2. You have the right problem, the right problem, now what
  3. 3. Sometimes you find yourself staring at a blank page…
  4. 4. But nature abhors a vacuum and smart people, such as yourself hate not having any answers, so…. how about this or that or he said we could try optimized high impact ad go viral culture next big thing Socia & she said client likes creative hate Sometimes you have too much information& she said client likes creative hate competitive edge the population o salesithinkmaybeiloveherdata indicate amncigaretteconsumer blue ocean sout nextmeetinghot button360 integratedlikeawardsustainableimpacttouchpoint manage uccessmetricscommunitynextbeachtripBoracay keholdersmeaningoflifegeniusdamnfungryno Aaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhh!!! much information
  5. 5. Take a step back & distill your thoughts Focus on what really matters
  6. 6. Art Science The Insight that really matters The Number that makes you stop& think
  7. 7. Art Science The Insight that really matters The Number that makes you stop& think
  8. 8. What story do the numbersnumbers reveal
  9. 9. “There are three kinds of lies: lies,damned lies and statistics.” - Mark Twain- Mark Twain
  10. 10. Does she really have breast cancer? The probability of female breast cancer is 1% If she has cancer, the probability of a positive is 90%If she has cancer, the probability of a positive is 90% If she doesn’t, the probability of a false positive is 9% Source: Gigrenzer, et al. , “Knowing Your Chances” , Scientific American Mind (April 8, 2009)
  11. 11. Does she really have breast cancer? The probability of breast cancer is about 81% Out of 10 with a positive, about 9 have breast cancer Which is the best answer? Source: Gigrenzer, et al. , “Knowing Your Chances” , Scientific American Mind (April 8, 2009) Out of 10 with a positive, about 1 has breast cancer The probability she has breast cancer is about 1%
  12. 12. Does she really have breast cancer? What did doctors think? The probability of breast cancer is about 81% Out of 10 with a positive, about 9 have breast cancer 60% Source: Gigrenzer, et al. , “Knowing Your Chances” , Scientific American Mind (April 8, 2009) Out of 10 with a positive, about 1 has breast cancer The probability she has breast cancer is about 1% 21% 19%
  13. 13. Does she really have breast cancer? What is the real story? The probability of breast cancer is about 81% Out of 10 with a positive, about 9 have breast cancer 60% Source: Gigrenzer, et al. , “Knowing Your Chances” , Scientific American Mind (April 8, 2009) Out of 10 with a positive, about 1 has breast cancer The probability she has breast cancer is about 1% 21% 19%
  14. 14. Is the glass half empty or half full? How do I tell a numbers story?
  15. 15. Look at numbers in human terms The probability of female breast cancer is 1% If she has cancer, the probability of a positive is 90% Ten out of every 1,000 women have breast cancer Of these 10 women, 9 test positiveIf she has cancer, the probability of a positive is 90% If she doesn’t, the probability of a false positive is 9% Source: Gigrenzer, et al. , “Knowing Your Chances” , Scientific American Mind (April 8, 2009) Of these 10 women, 9 test positive Of the 990 without cancer, about 89 still test positive When the data was presented in these natural frequencies, 87% of the doctors got the right answer.
  16. 16. 10 out of 1,000 women have breast cancer women have breast cancer
  17. 17. 9 out of 10 with cancer test positive with cancer test positive
  18. 18. 89 out of the 990 healthy women still gethealthy women still get
  19. 19. 98 of 1000 mammograms test positive,but… mammograms test positive,but…
  20. 20. … Only about 1 in 10* positives actually has breast cancer positives actually has breast cancer * 9 True Positives /98 False Positives = 9.18% or about 1 out of 10
  21. 21. There is a 10% probability she has breast There is a 90% chance she is Which story do you want to tell? probability she has breast cancer 90% chance she is cancer-free
  22. 22. Is it actually true? Numbers Checklist Do you really understand it? Have you Does it lead to a bigger story? Have you humanized it?
  23. 23. Art Science The Insight that really matters The Number that makes you stop& think
  24. 24. How do I get an Insightan Insight
  25. 25. Knowledge Insight Organization Understanding Data Information Analysis Organization
  26. 26. Seeing and understanding the inner nature of things clearly…
  27. 27. Cluster data to information... Connect info into knowledge… Capture relevant data ... … Insight that matters Craft initial insights…
  28. 28. Observations answer what… Insights answer WHY… … Insight that matters… Insight that matters Insights answer WHY…
  29. 29. Consumer Insight Competitive Insight Strategic RELEVANCE DIFFERENTIATION Explore different insight platforms Client Insight Context Insight Strategic Idea SUSTAINABILITY OPPORTUNITY
  30. 30. More young women are smoking than ever before despite known health risks Consumer Observation … because they worry more about looking good than dying early Consumer Insight Consumer Insight Develop anti-smoking campaigns that appeal to women’s vanity Strategic Idea
  31. 31. Airlines are pushing free seat promos for individual travelers Category Observation … because higher flight yields secure their profitability Consumer Insight Competitive Insight ‘Buy 3, 1 Free’ bundles on full-fare tickets to nurture retention and encourage group travel Strategic Idea
  32. 32. EA Sports is a leader in sports video gaming Client Observation … because EA isn’t about gaming, it’s about ‘winning’ Consumer Insight Client Insight Don’t just put the player ‘in the game’ put them in the middle of ‘the win’ Source: Heat Interactive Strategic Idea
  33. 33. Youths (18 to 24) are 2x more likely to watch movies than anyone else Context Observation … because they want more than to be entertained; they want to be together Consumer Insight Context Insight Transform cinema into a more intimate and social experience, by putting it under the stars Strategic Idea Images of Rooftop Films Events: Sarah Palmer (L), Andrew Frisicano (R)
  34. 34. Does it answer why? Insight Checklist Does it reveal a compelling truth? Do you have full Does it inspire possibilities? Do you have full perspective?
  35. 35. Art Science The Insight that really matters The Number that makes you stop& think
  36. 36. What if Numbers & Insights& Insights worked together
  37. 37. Strategy that makes a difference Strategy that makes a difference
  38. 38. the number that makes us stop and think the strategy the creative solution the insight that really matters solution
  39. 39. Testosterone levels in men have dropped 17% over the last 20 years Reawaken your latent masculinity Wear the pants Men aren’t feeling like men anymore masculinity
  40. 40. Dockers “Wear the Pants” Integrated Campaign
  41. 41. Dockers “Wear the Pants” Man-ifesto
  42. 42. • The overall feedback to the campaign is both more positive and higher in volume than any Levi Strauss & Co. campaign to date. • Dockers generated the largest number of digital posts, gained the largest increase in Facebook fans and posted the highest number Return on Ideas largest increase in Facebook fans and posted the highest number of searches on Google for 24 hours (during the Super Bowl). • Sales up by 240% on Game Day. • 633K people registered for free pants week of Super Bowl. • Feb online sales: +125% vs. LY. • Expanded distribution- American Rag, Urban Outfitters & Nordstrom
  43. 43. Does it get the job done? Strategy Checklist Does it do it better than anything else?anything else? Does it open up possibilities for even more?
  44. 44. So what really matters really matters to you?
  45. 45. thank you. Joseph de Leon Joseph.deLeon@draftfcb.com DraftFCB SDN BHD 17th Floor, Menara IGB, MidValley City Lingkaran Syed Putra, 59200, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia web: www.draftfcb.com.myweb: www.draftfcb.com.my tel: + 6 03 2296 3600 fax: + 6 03 2296 3705
  46. 46. In the too much information age,the window of opportunity window of opportunity remains open for an average of 6.5 seconds.
  47. 47. We call it the 6.5 secondsthe 6.5 seconds that matter.
  48. 48. the research
  49. 49. Over 1,000 interviews gave us an average engagement time between consumers and brand messaging of 6.5 seconds. behind the number:
  50. 50. You have 6.5 seconds to make your brand matter. here’s how it works your brand matter. Use it wisely.
  51. 51. We find the“holy s#%t”number, merge it with a compelling insight to develop the most creatively inspiring strategy. insight to develop the most creatively inspiring strategy.
  52. 52. And it culminates in a creative solution thatsolution that captures the consumer in 6.5 seconds.
  53. 53. the number that makes us stop and think the creative the the creative solution the insight that really matters the strategy

×