Obsidis Consortia, Inc.
Privacy on the Internet
“This presentation is dedicated to the NSA”
José L. Quiñones-Borrero, BS
MCP, MCSA, MCT, CEH, CEI, GCIH, GPEN, RHCSA
What is OC, Inc?
• Obsidis Consortia, Inc. [OC, Inc.] is a non-profit organization that promotes
security awareness in the community and supports professional
development of security professionals, students and enthusiasts in Puerto
• OC, Inc. has develop and is supporting initiatives like the Init6 Security
User Group, Professional Training & Workshops, Network and Security
Systems Simulation Scenarios (Capture the Flag), Security BSides Puerto
Rico Conference and a Community Outreach Program.
The NSA scandal has revealed …
• They can and will capture all traffic possible
• All encrypted traffic is considered suspicious
and is retained indefinitely
• They trace up to 3 hops/connections (people)
to and from the target.
• This is not something new, don’t be naive.
• The Patriot Act was extended until Dec 2017
…here come the technologies
(The Onion Router)
• "Onion Routing" refers to the layers of the encryption used.
• The original data, including its destination, are encrypted and
re-encrypted multiple times, and sent through a virtual circuit
comprising successive, randomly selected Tor relays.
• Each relay decrypts a "layer" of encryption to reveal only the
next relay in the circuit in order to pass the remaining
encrypted data on to it. The final relay decrypts the last layer
of encryption and sends the original data, without revealing
or even knowing its sender, to the destination.
• This method reduces the chance of the original data being
understood in transit and, and conceals the routing of it
Cautions with Tor
• Traffic on exit nodes can be captured/sniffed
• Incompatible applications can bypass Tor and
reveal your location/personal information
• “User” fingerprinting may be possible
– User agent, OS, plugins, etc…
– Client side scripting can collect valuable information
• Exit nodes should not (NEVER) be trusted
– PPTP (weakest)
• Private VPN service
– VPN service you pay for to protect your information
– VPN providers are bound by its country’s laws
– ssh –R remote_port
• Static (redirect a local connection to a remote ip:port)
– ssh –L local_port:remote_ip:remote_port user@host
• ssh –L 10000:10.10.10.10:80 user@host
• Dynamic (socks5)
– ssh –D local_port user@host
• ssh –D 10000 user@host
• Other options
• -f (sent to backgrond
• -N (prevent execution on remote server
• -o (send proxy command)
• Forces TCP applications that don’t support
proxies to go thru them
• Uses proxies in config file:
– socks4, socks5, http
• Simple to use
– proxychains firefox http://mozilla.com
– proxychains nmap -sT -p 80 188.8.131.52
• With whom do you communicate?
– Telephone, Email, Text/SMS, chat
• What is you pattern of communication?
– frequency, periods of time, volume, time line
• Where do you go and go goes the same
– “places” you visit
Immersion at MIT
• Immersion presents users with a number of different
perspectives of their email data.
• It provides a tool for self-reflection at a time where the
zeitgeist is one of self-promotion.
• It provides an artistic representation that exists only in the
presence of the visitor.
• It helps explore privacy by showing users data that they
have already shared with others.
• Finally, it presents users wanting to be more strategic with
their professional interactions, with a map to plan more
effectively who they connect with.