. AKASH RAJ
.SABIN MON FRANCIS
• Pollution is an undesirable change in
physical,chemical or biological
characterstics of air,land or water that
harmfully affected the life or create
potential health hazard of living organism.
• Any substance causes pollution is called
DIFFERENT TYPES OF
• Air pollution
• Water pollution
• Soil pollution
• Noise pollution
• Radioactive pollution
Air pollution is the degradation of
air quality and natural
RESULTS OF AIR POLLUTION
• Air pollutants cause injury to all living organisms.
• They reduce growth and yield of crops.
• It cause premature death of plants
• Affects respiratory system of human and of
It comprises of solid particles or liquid
droplets small enough to remain suspended
fungal spores ,fibres,some metal like copper, iron
-Injurious to health
2.Carbon monoxide (CO)
• This poisonous gas is formed from partial
combustion of fuels, steel industry, oil
• CO is very harmful to living organism
especially to animals.
• It inhibits cellular respiration in plants.
• Due to the combustion of fuels, respiration
process of plants and animals etc.
• The main reason for increasing global
warming is due to the present of high
amount of CO2.
4. Volatile Organic Carbon (VOC)
or Hydrocarbon (HC)
• These are compounds of hydrogen and
• Hydrocarbons are formed naturally during
decomposition of organic matter and
certain types of trees such as pine trees.
• The chief source are the motor
vehicle,burning of fuels,decay of garbage
5. Sulphur dioxide (SO2)
• SO2 is released from the combustion of
sulphur containing coal, petroleum
refining, automobiles, ore smelters etc.
• High amount of sulphur dioxide destroys
• It disappearance of chlorophyll and break
down of cells.
6.Nitrogen oxide (NO2)
• It form during combustion of fossil fuels as
high temperatures in automobile engines.
• It also released from power plants.
• It may cause heart or lung problems and
may be carcinogenic.
• Hydrogen fluoride gas is an extremely
phytotoxic gas released by the heating of
fluoride rocks, soils etc.
• Lead is emitted by automobile exhaust
and it causes long-term environmental
• Continuous inhaling of air borne lead
pollution caused lead poisoning.
• It reduces the oxygen carrying capacity of
haemoglobin in the blood.
• It is formed in traffic congested
metropolitan cities where warm conditions
and intense solar radiations are present.
• It caused by combination of smoke and
• It cause series of health hazards.
• Damage plant as well as animal life.
• As a result of burning of fossil fuels, and
petroleum, large quantities of sulphur
oxide and nitrogen oxides reach the
• These gases oxidise into sulphuric acid
and nitric acid.
• It deposits on the surface of earth either
• It changes the pH of the soil
1.Control of particulate matters
• Scrubbers or arresters can be used to remove
particulate matters from contaminated air.
• Cyclonic separator ,which consists of a special
chamber where a gas stream containing
particulate matter is circulated through spiral.
• Particles are centrifuged outward and collected.
• Scrubbers are used to clear air for both dusts
and gases by passing it through a dry or wet
2.Control of gaseous pollutants
• Gaseous pollutants can be controlled by
combustion ,absorption and adsorption
• In combustion process, oxidisable gaseous
pollutants are completely burnt at high
• In absorption technique, gaseous pollutants are
absorbed in suitable absorbent materials.
• In adsorption technique, toxic air pollutants are
adsorbed on large solid surfaces.
3.Control of automobile exhaust
• Reduce the amount of uncombusted
carbon and vehicles should be fitted with
exhaust emission control.
• It is most widely accepted method to
remove 99% particulate matter present in
the exhaust from a thermal power plant.
Working of electrostatic precipitator
• It has electrode wires posses several 1000 volt
• They produce a corona that releases electrons
• Electrons then attach to dust particles giving a’-’
• Collecting plate attach the charged particles.
• Velocity of air between plates are low fallen the
• A scrubber remove SO2
• Air is passed through scrubber with water or
Central pollution control board (CPCB)
Particulate of size 2.5 micrometres or less
in diameter are responsible for causing
great harm to human health. They inhale
deep into lungs and cause breathing
&respiratory symptoms, irritation ,
inflammation and damage to lands.
• 1981: air (prevention &control of pollution)
• 1987:It amend noise as a pollutant.
• 1986:Environment protection act.
The Earth in your hands.
Please save her from