1. The Blank Shots A 6 piece Ska band from SUNY Fredonia Structure: Andy Meyer - Lead Vocals/ Guitar Joshua Strate- Lead Guitar Matt Bowman- Trumpet Christian Giunta- Trombone Zack Weissman- Bass Bryan Sibbitts- Drums
2. Background Created in the Fall of ’10 by Andy Meyer and Josh Strate Love of ska music & creating music brought the rest of the band together Played shows all around Fredonia and Buffalo
3. What is Ska Music?• Ska is a music genre that originated in Jamaica in the late 1950s, and was the precursor to rocksteady and reggae. •Reggae + Punk = Ska
4. Situation• Ska was huge in the 90’s, not so much now.• Current successful Ska bands rarely make the current “hit” radio playlists. Problem: Not many people know/ are fans of Ska
5. Situation Cont.• Band’s Main Goal: Bring a new wave of Ska music back into the college campus scene.• Main Challenge: Lack of knowledge of the band/genre.
6. Research• 30 people randomly polled with a survey: • 11 Freshman • 10 Sophomores • 5 Juniors • 4 Seniors
7. Research Yes No Do youknow what 60%Ska music 40% is?
8. Research Twitter Facebook Tumblr 13% 13%Most visited website? 73%
9. Research - Audience Freshman Sophomores Juniors Seniors Have youheard of the 15% band The 38% Blank Shots? 46%
10. Objectives• Main Objective: Communication outreach through social networking to attract new members & increase ticket sales/ awareness using: • Twitter • Tumblr • Promotional Flyers • Merchandise • FaceBook
11. Tactics - TwitterWithin the ﬁrst 3 hours, their twitter had 9 followers -synched to their facebook, constantly updated
12. TumblrUsed as ablogging/ picture sharing platform Pictures/Posts can be “reblogged” to other users
13. Flyers• Created to raise awareness for the local shows around Fredonia.• Left on tables in dining halls (Willy) and library to create buzz. • More upperclassmen usually stop into the Williams Center - target audience • Upperclassmen using the library
15. Timetable/Budget• Prospective Budget: $150 • Used for T-shirts & stickers• Time Table: • End of spring semester/beginning of fall
16. Evaluation• Number of followers on social media sites• Show Attendance/Ticket Sales• Merchandise Sales