According to Comscore many people are now using the social media and spend more time on the Internet that before. The graph shows the highest number of people that is 60% Use the Internet for news and searching information, the second which is 50% for emails, 3rd use which is 40% for entertainment, 30% for social networking and 20% for portals . Technology has broken boundaries and there is high demand for computers, mobile phones, smart phones which is transforming the way of our lives with many apps to facilitate the way we interact ,live and do business.
The topic of my blog is Kampala City the pearl of Africa, I selected this topic as I wanted to introduce Kampala City as one of the best destination to East Africa through use different forms of social media, such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and You-tube plus social book-marking websites such as; StumbleUpon, digg, Reddit, Delicious, Buzzfeed, I wanted to highlight the beauty of the city, eating places, historical sites, night life, music, lifestyle, the exchange rate against the US Dollars, hotels and way of living. Kampala city not know much as Kony and Amin so I wanted to create a positive image of Kampala city in the eyes of the readers.
Adults or students interested in travelling and discovering new places, this person is daredevil and is not afraid going to new places. He/she love environment, believes in culture diversity, creative, innovative and is always searching information from different format of media. Use a lot the Internet and enjoy social media site. He/she is inconstant use of computer and mobile apps. Very focused, educated, knowledgeable and always want to learn about different culture. Love Africa and Uganda in general.
I started writing Kampala city blog from the beginning of February 2012 and I will continue writing on different topics to keep traffic and engage my visitors with new weekly post. The first blog was about Kampala City the Pearl of Africa which was posted around 10 February and the last blog during this semester is Kampala City Night life posted on April 12, 2012.
Overview Facebook: I have total of 33 likes 3 people talking about it and weekly total reach of 456 .
Twiiterhas been my favorite social media platform though other social media hav been very interesting too! stats by April 22, 2012 were 307 tweets, 1405 following and 622 followers.
You Tube: I have 3 playlists, no uploaded files and no metrics. You Tube has been working for me as media tool to update me the latest videos and used to download some videos for my blog to create visio effect o my postings.
Google analytics provided me with metrics of my blog, such as sources, amount of traffic, who has been on my site, countries, cities allover the world by showing me visits, page views, bounce rate, duration, new visitors and returning visitors.
Twitter stats motivated me because whenever I visited it I had more followers which triggered me to follow them back. I did tweets on average twice a day and average of 6 followers added on my twitter account. Twitter has been user friendly social media which has been promoting my blogs throughout the semester and will continue tweeting as I have picked up a lot of interest.
Hubspot market grader indicated my blog as 69 of 100 with top of the funnel on 56%, middle 33% and analytics 67%. I have not be familiar with this grader as it gave me technical issues when I first signed in so I have not been using it regular to look for my statistics for Kampala city the pearl of Africa blog.
Social media website which aided the blog to be viewed are Facebook, twitter, Reddit, StumbleUpon Delicious and Digg according to stats got from Google Analytics, Facebook insights, Hubspot grader and twitter counter.
By selecting Kampala city the Pearl of Africa, I realized that many of my target audience did not know much about Kampala city and after the #Kony 2012 viral video which was watched by many on social media my blog become very popular as people wanted to know what is happening in Kampala and Uganda as whole. The Kony video was a golden opportunity to keep engaged with my target audience. The blog has been working good but I had some set back at first when I used a dashboard which was not compatible with the tools. Every blog post had different subject but focused on Kampala city. Finally I am happy because the blog was doing fine and will keep on blogging to keep what I have learnt burning in my memories.
Facebook has been the main source of traffic for the blog and has enabled me to get friends and a communication from our professor and fellow students. Facebook has bonded us together as students and able to share our blog’s, school assignments, questions and feedback from friends and our tutor. On facebook I was able to check on insights to see the status of my metrics as well who has liked and commented on the postings on my wall or Humber college wall both for Internet and communication marketing or on friend’s wall. While using facebook I felt that I was communicating with the whole world has user friendly tools such as button to post blog, videos and articles without much trouble.
You-tube has been the only social media which helped me in getting videos and sharing them via the blog or directly to other social media such as Facebook and twitter indirectly creating traffic for the blog. You tube has been a good source of learning key tool because of its visual effects. Videos carry more message than text and makes it quicker when you are learning a new topic from the scratch. You Tube has been another source of getting videos music for free after a stressful life.
Pinterest was used to pin and repining pictures and images on board or linking to other’s video. It was not very informative apart from huge selection of pictures and images. In Pinterest I was able to get connected with other social media subscribers and get friends.
Reddit created a lot of traffic to the blog, it is easy to use and bring in traffic instantly once you are connected to it. Has share buttons which links to other users of reddit and very informative in its postings and blog, Reddit and Stumble-upon have been awesome in getting blog traffic. These social bookmarking site are very useful especially to new bloggers.
Twitter has been the best source of traffic apart from Facebook for my blog, Easy to use, not too much text to read or write, quick and efficient. I like it because I chose what to follow and postings are geared to someone’s interest so far it has worked for more than other social media programs.
Based on my learning from Blogger I realized that it was easy to use start blogging. What I experience while running my blog is the interest and effort someone has to put so that what we have learnt is put into practice. This is more practical course rather than theoretical needs a lot of patience and always to keep on trying . All what I have learnt will always apply them in my field as social media is still around for many ages to come. I have benefit a lot during the course of Internet marketing. On blogging it should be newsworthy, constant postings of new blog a week and well presented in the eyes of the readers.
Email- marketing; Experience of learning new emails for business purposes with all necessary function tools.
Pinch Engine has been very smooth and attractive newsletter for the blog. The tools are user friendly and the results looks to be very profession. Has already made social media share button. The appearance is great pitch-engine which creates good PR to the target audience
Mobile Marketing has been the last subject which is hands on the tools. As mobile marketing is booming, many business are using different apps to make and bring awareness to their businesses.
I have already monetize my website www.jkasumbas.com with signing on Amazon affiliated marketing programs in order to make some money, I chose this because it is straight forward and never wanted to go for PPC as would not work for me. I will continue with making post on my blog as I cannot just throw away what I have learnt. The candle has to keep burning! The SEO on my Kampala blog has been ranked first in Google search engine after analyzing the amount of traffic to the blog. The results from SEO have motivated me to keep on making new posting for the blog. For display ads apart from Amazon I would not add more to clutter my website, though using other social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest You-Tube and pull more traffic and they have been hand in directing traffic to the blog. With press releases, email marketing and mobile are options that would be used to continue update followers and subscribers of any topic of my blog post. Mobile marketing would be good to sign in due to the reasons that many people have mobile and have many apps which could be used when promoting on behalf of big companies in order to generate revenue if form of advertisement.Overall it has been a good experience I have gained a lot in social media and will always use what I have learnt to expand on my knowledge in social media and the way how business will be conducted to reach the target market.
SEO from Google optimizing Kampala City the Pearl of Africa blog at the first rank through different social media channels.
1. Kampala City the Pearl of Africa By :Yusuf Kawoya April 23, 2012 ykawoyakasumba.blogspot.com
2. PerspectiveMany people are using social media to reach target audience than before as many people spending more time on the Internet
3. Overview-Blog TopicKampala City the Pearl of AfricaThe benefits of visiting Kampala
4. Overview- Persona Love travelling Discovering new places Working and need break to relax Artistic Creative Adventurous Innovative Daredevil Geography and History is favorite subject Interested in reading and social media
5. Overview- List of Blog Titles Restaurants Around Kampala City 216 pages Kampala city is Vibrant 81 pages Restaurants in Kampala City 52 pages Kampala Garden of Eden 43 pages Kampala City never sleeps 41pages Kampala City the Pearl of Africa 23 pages Kampala charming 1000 cups 20 pages Lake Vic. Serena Resort- Kampala 15 pages Kampala Night life 12 pages Kampala & Kasumba Square 10 pages Kampala City in the Sun 10 pages Kampala Transformed City 10 pages
11. Blog PerformanceAccording to Google Analytics, insights, Hubspot the blog was aided by the following media sites to be viewed world wide. Facebook Twitter Reddit StumbleUpon Delicious Digg
12. Key Learning- Blog
13. Key Learning- Facebook: Able toPromote the blog, posting videos andarticles to increase traffic on my wall
14. Key-Learning : You Tube Uploading $ downloading videos on music and newsworthy Assisted me in get video for the blog Playlists Favorable lists Able to subscribe Embed videos for blog You tube buttons access Free share of videos
15. Key Learning- PinterestAttracts users to pin pictures & Videos
16. Key Learning – Reddit By posting URL’s the reddit community visits Able to see other postings from reddit User friendly Created traffic blog Best social bookmark
17. Key Learning – Twitter Best link for the blog to audience &one of the bestsocial media. Gained many followers & followed many
18. Indicated Actions
19. Constant Contact Email–Marketing: News Letter Sample For PR
20. PR-Pitch-Engine on KampalaCity
21. Kampala City the Pearl of Africa –Mobile Marketing Apps (Widget-box)
22. Recommendations Signed with Amazon for affiliated marketing program to monetize Keep the blog but make changes to be more newsworthy Use key words for my blog to improve SEO Google Adwords- PPC will be thought of in the future Continue using all four social media Emailing marketing and mobile marketing will be thought of