2. It is important that everything in the media industry hasa genre, because if it didn’t it would not have a targetaudience and then it wouldn’t sell. This is no exceptionto Soap Operas for example Hollyoaks is for a youngeraudience because the characters in it are younger and itis on earlier in the day compared to most Soaps.However, soaps like Doctors are on earlier in the day andtherefore are aimed at older people because youngadults and people are at school.There are three different types of genre for Soap Operasthey are:Glamorous- everything in the soap is more expensive.The people are upper class.Light Entertainment- a soap you can laugh at and relatetoo.Social Realist- realistic and more sensibly than lightentertainment soaps.
3. Eastenders is a lightentertainment soapopera, with storylines that canbe challenging but occasionallyfunny.Dallas is much more glamorousbecause it is in America, withsports cars and designerclothing.Doctors is more of a socialrealist, it isn’t as dramatic assome of the other well knownsoaps.
4. Within Soap Operas it is important to have stereotypical characters. They are used to helpthe audience identify characters and lets them get a better understanding of the storyline.Some stereotypical characters appear in most Soap Operas, a few examples of these are:* Thug – A violent person. Gangster like character. (Phil Mitchell)* Nosy neighbour – Likes to know everyone else’s business. (Blanche Hunt)* Womaniser – Seduces women. Has short meaningless relationships with them. (Carl King)* Jack the lad – Someone who feeds on attention. Acts like a big man. (Max Branning)* Young Ruffian – Causes trouble. Bully. Craves attention. (Ben Mitchell)These stereotypes commonly apply to characters such as, Phil Mitchell, Blanche Hunt, CarlKing, Max Branning and Ben Mitchell.
5. NarrativeSoap Operas contain different storylines. For exampleEmmerdale had a plane crash that viewers complainedabout because it was broadcast close to the fifthanniversary of the Lockerbie Disaster.Dallas had a on-going storyline, “Who shot J.R.?” It waseventually resolved months later to have been KristenShepard, Sue Ellens scheming sister. Emmerdale Plane crashNarratives are an important part of Soap operas as theyare what causes the audience to continue watching theprogram. Usually at the end of each episode there is amini-cliffhanger that makes the audience watch thenext episode to see it resolved or view the rest of theseries to see the event resolved. Most storylines thatare used for soaps are things that you would find in reallife. For example they include murders, adultery and Who shot J.R.?people with drinking problems.
6. Coronation Street had a storyline that went on for a week that featured a tram crash. It effected the characters because they still mention it in discussions today. It effected the die-hard fans of Corrie because they believed it really happened.Audiences of soaps likeEastenders sometimes comefrom deprived areas and like The new series of Dallas has numerousto get involved in the storylines. The selling of South forkstorylines. ranch, and Bobby’s battle with cancer. The audience can instantly connect with the characters because of the storylines and how they are portrayed. An example of a storyline is the battle between the brothers John Ross Ewing and Christopher Ewing. This storyline brings lots of tension and the audience can relate to it because they might have a bad relationship with their family.
7. ** Mise-en-Scene is a French term used to describe the design aspects of a theatre or film production.* Mise-en-Scene is split into 5 features which are devised to send signals to the audience about how we are supposed to feel about a certain point. These features are:* Settings and Location* Facial Expression and Body Language* Position of Characters and Objects in a Frame* Lighting and Colour* Props and Costumes and Hair and Make-Up
8. ** An important part in film making either built from scratch or one that already exists can manipulate an audience builds expectations then takes a different turn. Some examples are;* Science Fiction = Space* Romantic Comedy = Home/Work/Happy/Dark/Candles* Horror = Isolated House/Woods/Dark/Cellar/Basement* Coronation Street = Manchester
9. ** Clear indication of feelings smiling/happy (may be different in scary movies). How a character feels towards another character/body language. States, reflects relationship. You can clearly see how these characters are feeling in these scenes due to their facial expressions.
10. ** Power = Looking Up* Closer to camera = status (and focus) puts emphasis on certain characters* Image = two people opposite ends of a sofa, facial expression/ body language* (eg Men in Black2 poster; Double act, mirrored actions, powers, shades, cool, kick ass, mysterious, covered identity)
11. ** To highlight characters/objects/mysterious/dark/disturbed/shading/confused/co lour- Red=passionate/fiery – Green=calm. Hidden Emotions* Low Key Lighting – backlights light and dark areas – used a lot horror films – isolations – dark lonely places,* High Key Lighting – Happy, Sunny – Rom Coms
12. ** The costume, hair and make up play a huge part in showing off a character in any soap. If they are wearing a suit then you instantly think that this person is sophisticated and have a good job, whereas if they were wearing a hoodie, track suit and trainers, you instantly know that this person is a typical chav.* You can easily see what time period any soap is in depending on what they are wearing. If it was Downton Abbey then they would all be wearing older period costumes whereas if they were in Eastenders then they would be wearing the chav clothes described above.
13. ** Low Shot = A way of making the subject appear more powerful* High Shot = A way of making the subject appear more vulnerable* Close Up = A way of capturing emotion or establishing connection
14. *For a Soap opera to be popular it needs anaudience and because many main streamsoaps have been running for so long theyhave not only a huge audience but fans aswell.Some people get so involved in the storylinesthey write hate mail to the actors oractresses playing the character. For examplein Eastenders there was an abusive husband.He would walk along the street and get dirtylooks as well as hate mail.In Coronation Street when Deidre was inprison there was a campaign from fans to gether out.
15. AudienceEmmerdale had 9.2 million viewers on it’s 40th anniversary live episode.Eastenders had 16.2 million viewers on it’s 25th anniversary live episode.Coronation Street had 14.9 million viewers on it’s 50th anniversary live episode.
16. Our Soap*
17. ** We decided our soap opera should be glamorous. Like the new Dallas it will have big houses, nice cars and pretty people.
18. Main Characters.Mum – Allison Smith – Karen GillanHusband – Seth Smith Jensen AcklesLittle Girl – Hope Smith Maggie ElizabethJonesBoyfriend – Nathan Green - Bradley James Additional Characters: Farmer Joe – Peter Davison Ann (Farmer Wife) – Janet Fielding Mary (Daughter) – Sarah Sutton
19. * * We decided to chose actors we knew to act in our soap opera, I liked Karen Gillian as Amy Pond (Doctor Who) and decided to cast her as something for the dads! Jensen Ackles and Bradley James are excellent actors from two highly regarded shows, Supernatural and Merlin. Also Jensen Ackles is no stranger to soaps, he played Eric Brady in the american soap, Days of our lives. * I chose Peter Davison, Janet fielding and Sarah Sutton because they worked well together and are great friends and therefore have great chemistry on screen. Also they are my favorite TARDIS team!!!
20. * * Mum and a five year old daughter escape after abuse from the husband. Mum and Daughter move to a new street away from husband. They start a new family and after a few months the husband finds them. At this point the mum has a new boyfriend to protect them. The husband kidnaps them. Eventually they are found and the husband is locked up.
21. ** Farmer Joe has a skeleton in his closet. It turns out he murdered an intruder on his farm and buried him. The Intruder turns out to be Seth’s granddad. Seth’s parents have a lot of money and manage to get him out of prison after he had kidnapped his family. He hires a hit man to kill farmer Joe and his family. Nathan finds something incriminating on Seth and it is big enough to put him away for a long time. Everyone from the show turns up at court and gives evidence to put Seth away. He is given life imprisonment however by this point the damage has been done. Farmer Joe and his family get put into protective custody and taken to a safe house. The hitman has rigged an explosion to occur when they shut the door. The house blows up killing the family. Allison realizes it is not safe for her daughter anymore and tells Nathan to take Hope and go somewhere where no one would find them. They head to Paris. Allison has begun drinking and fills her glass with brandy. She drinks it and falls over, poisoned.
22. Possible cliffhangers.* Folks would be broadcast in seasons of 23/24 episodes. This would be a good idea for a number of reasons. The actors would have time to work on other projects like Jensen Ackles could continue to play Dean Winchester on Meteor shower or plane crash Supernatural and Peter Davison, Janet Fielding and Sarah Sutton would be able to continue with Doctor Who.* We can end each season on a cliffhanger making the audience wanting to watch the next season to see the cliffhanger concluded.* Finally it would be good for the show because the media would be interested in finding out anything they can about House explosion with someone inside the next season. Terrorist attack Literally a cliffhanger, someone pushes someone over a cliff!
23. Location We decided to set our soap opera in Folkestone Kent. We decided to set it here because it is very pretty and it kind of is the place you would go to get away and start a new life. As you can see from the pictures it is a seaside town and boats are always there. It would be busy so it would not be hard to blend in.