• Discussion: How to respond to
• “Araby” Essays
GROUP DISCUSSION: RESPONSES TO “ARABY”
1. Examine the way Crane’s thesis includes a forecasting statement and
how the forecast is fulfilled. Then identify her topic sentences and key
terms. Do they effectively link her supporting paragraphs to her thesis
2. Examine Crane’s paragraph five in her essay. Explain her strategy in
the organization of the paragraph. Is it effective?
3. Look at Crane’s paragraphs 6-8. What is her goal? Is she successful?
How and why?
4. Compare essays to argue which is stronger. Consider introductions,
theses statements, support, analysis, and the conclusion.
Based on this criteria, is Crane’s
thesis successful and, if so, why?
The St. Martin’s Guide to Writing: Chapter 10 “Interpreting Stories”
IS THERE AN
IS IT INTERESTING?
IS IT CLEAR AND
FORECASTING REASONS AND SUPPORT
What is Ratinov’s thesis
statement? What key
terms does he introduce?
Does the thesis meet the
standards of a well-
written interpretive thesis
statement? Is it
clear, and appropriately
What reasons does
Ratinov offer for his
interpretation of the story’s
His thesis is in the first
In the last sentence, Ratinov gives a summary
of his reasons for asserting his thesis.
Post #23: Tentative