1. EWRT-001B Reading, Writing, andMonday/ Research HomeworkWednesdayWeek One Introduction Identity: Essay #1 TheApril 8-11 Narrative Establish: Your Webpage or Username Presentation: Green Sheet; Syllabus; Explore: The class webpage Website Buy or Order: Your books Lecture: Identity and social expectation Post:#1 Finish in-class writing and post it. Discussion: What is Identity? When do Post #2: Write a paragraph or two describing aClass 1 we "pass" as someone different from time when you were unfairly judged on concrete ourselves? identity characteristics. OR In-class writing: How do we express our Write a paragraph or two describing a time when own identities? How much do we reveal you passed as someone or something you were not. about ourselves? How do we decide? The passing can be either purposeful or inadvertent. Presentation: Terms Discussion: Personal Passing Experience and Being judged by Concrete Identifiers Lecture: Essay #1: writing Strategies for Post: #3 Finish in-class writing and post it.Class 2 in-class essay #1: The Personal Narrative Studying: Terms In-class writing: Basic Features: dialogue, description, anecdote, framing, outlining, significanceWeek TwoApril 15-19 Presentation: Terms Reading: Hughes: "Passing" and "Passing."Class 3 Introduction to the QHQ Studying: Terms In-class writing exam 1: Narrative Post #4: QHQ: Either the poem or the short story. Racial Passing: Essay #2 The Argument Reading: Kennedy "Racial Passing" Posted under Presentation: Terms "Secondary Sources." Author Lecture: Langston Hughes Post #5: Post directed summary of "Passing" and QHQ Discussion: Racial Passing: paraphrase of "Passing."Class 4 "Passing" and "Passing" Studying: Terms Lecture: Writing a Directed Summary; Post #6: Discuss one story from Kennedys article Paraphrasing Poetry that particularly spoke to you. How did it influence In-class writing: Directed Summary; you in your thinking about passing? paraphrase
2. Week ThreeApril 22-26 Reading: Chesnutt "The Passing of Grandison" Film Screeening: Racial Passing TBA Post #7: QHQ filmClass 5 Author Lecture: Charles Chesnutt Post #8: QHQ "Grandison" Studying: Terms Exam 1: Vocab and Terms Reading: Hughes: "Whos Passing for Who?" QHQ Discussion: Kennedy, "The Post #9 QHQ "Whos Passing for Who?" Passing of Grandison," Film Think about Pickens’s statement and whether youClass 6 Presentation: Introduction to Essay 2: agree with it or not. Consider which texts you The Argument might use to support your beliefs. In-Class Writing: Essay 2 BrainstormingWeek FourApril 29-May 3 Reading: Morrison: “Recitatif.” Discussion: Hughes: "Whos Passing for Post #10: Write a paragraph defending "passing" Who?" with at least three reasons. Write another paragraph Presentation: Essay 2: The Argument:Class 7 condemning passing using another three reasons. Brainstorming with FREECASH Use evidence from our readings to defend your In-Class Writing: Essay 2 Brainstorming reasons. Author Lecture: Toni Morrison Post #11: QHQ "Recitatif" Presentation: Terms List 2 Reading: Begin Stone Butch Blues (1-65) QHQ Discussion: "Recitatif" Post #12: Post Draft: Introduction, Thesis, ThreeClass 8 Lecture: Thesis statements, outlining, body paragraphs (with topic sentences, evidence, using evidence, introductions. and explanation) In-Class Writing: Essay #2 Studying:Vocab/TermsWeek FiveMay 6-10 Presentation: Terms Reading: Stone Butch Blues (66-130) Lecture: Counterarguments, Conclusions, Post #13: Finish and post complete draft. BringClass 9 MLA format; in-text citations; works cited three copies to our next meeting. page. Studying:Vocab/Terms In-class writing: Essay 2
3. Reading: Stone Butch Blues (131-195) Post #14: Finish and post essay #2 Presentation: Terms Post #15: Choose a few lines from Stone Butch In-class writing: Global Revsion WritingClass 10 Blues and explain how and why they stood out to Workshop Essay 2 you. Be sure to post your quotation above your Author Lecture: Leslie Feinberg response Studying:TermsWeek Six Sex/Gender/Orientation Passing: Essay #3 Finishing Essay #2May 13-17 Reponse to literature Edit Essay #2: Submit your essay electronically before our next class by emailing a copy saved Surface Revision: Essay #2 in MS word to firstname.lastname@example.org Discussion: QHQ: SBB Reading: Stone Butch Blues (196-End) In-class writing: Explore a moment when Post #16: Finish in-class writing; Jess intentionally passes. How does this Post #17: Jess interacts with medical personnel inClass 11 experience change who ze is? How do various ways throughout the novel. Explore an you know? Then pick one when ze experience Jess has with a medical professional. unintentionally passes. Does this affect hir Does her gender identity influence the treatment in the same way? How do you know? she receives or doesn’t receive? Include a quotation. Studying: Terms Reading: and the Prompt for Essay #3 (find it on the website) Post #18: Choose ONE: Find and discuss a Due Before Class: Essay #2 Submit moment Jess resists the larger social construct. your essay electronically before our How and why does ze do it? How does it next class by emailing a copy saved in contribute to the person Jess ultimately becomes?Class 12 MS Word to email@example.com Do you have evidence? or Find and write about Presentation:Terms an instance when Jess is forced to conform to the In-class discussion/writing: The Game dominant social paradigm. How does conforming (or trying to conform) change hir? What is your evidence? Studying: Terms: Exam at next meetingWeek Seven FebMay 20-24 Exam 2: Terms Presentation: Introduction to Essay #3 Reading: Begin M Butterfly How to write a response to literature. Post # 19: Finish and post in-class writing.Class 13 Discussion: Stone Butch Blues tentative thesis, body paragraphs (topic sentences In-class writing: thesis and outline; topic and evidence; quotations with explanations). sentences and paragraphs.
4. Reading: M Butterfly Presentation: Terms list 3 Finish in-class writing: Introduction, Discussion: Essay #3 Counterargument, and ConclusionClass 14 In-class writing: Essay #3 Directed Post #20 Finish your draft of Essay #3 and post it. Summary, Counterargument, conclusion Bring three complete copies of your draft to our Author Lecture: David Henry Hwang next meeting.Week Eight Finish Essay #3 The Trickster: Essay #4 Research PaperMay 27-31Monday No Holiday: Memorial DayClass Writing: Revise Essay 3: Submit your essay electronically before our next class by emailing a Presentation: Terms copy saved in MS word to firstname.lastname@example.org Peer Revision: You must have three Studying: Vocab/terms for ExamClass 15 copies of your essay. If you do not, you Reading: Hwangs M Butterfly may leave now to print or copy them. Reading: Helen Lock "Transformation of the Trickster." A link to the article is posted on our webpage.Week Nine The Trickster: Essay #4 Research PaperJune 3-7 Reading: Defining the Trickster: This is posted under "Secondary Readings" Essay #3 Due Post # 22 QHQ M Butterfly: the Play Presentation: Terms for Exam 3Class 16 Post # 23 Choose one definition from "Defining Film Screening: TBA the Trickster" and apply it to one character from our reading this quarter. Studying: Terms
5. Reading: Review primary texts you might use in your essay. Post #24: Discuss one or more characters in terms of one of the traits we discussed in class today. For example, Jess Goldberg as a “shape shifter” or Exam 3: Terms “cultural hero”; Grandison as “intellectually Presentation: Introduction to Essay #4 weak”; or Song as “physically weak”; maybe even Discussion: M Butterfly: Film the Iowans as “teachers.” Any of them might beClass 17 "Defining the Trickster" and Locke: discussed as “agents of change.” Or discuss "Transformation of the Trickster." “Grandison,” “Recitatif,” and “Who’s Passing as In-class writing: Evaluating Song as a Who” as Trickster tales in the African American Trickster Character tradition. Studying: Terms Next Class: We will meet in Library Lobby for a library orientation and an opportunity to do research for your paper. Please do not be late.Week TenJune 10-14 Research for Essay #4 Find two or more articles that will likely work as support for your essay. If you are feeling benevolent, post the citation for your article and add a few words about it so others can decide if it might work for them.Class 18 Post #25: Preliminary Works Cited Page for Essay Library workshop #4 Post #26: Identify two characters from our reading who share a common trait or traits. How are they alike? How might you use them to create a single thesis that answers the essay 4 prompt? Vocab Exam Re-take or Make-up Presentation: Terms List #4 Reading: Far “Leaves from the Mental Portfolio Discussion: Trickster Characters from our of an Eurasian”Class 19 reading Post #27 Outline and thesis for Essay #4 In-class writing: Essay 4: Outline and Studying: terms thesis Author Lecture: Sui Sin Far
6. Week Eleven Reverse/Refusing to Pass Essay #5June 17-21 Reading: Research Writing: Essay #4Class 20 Film Screening: Reverse Passing: TBA Post #28 QHQ: Far or Film Studying: Terms Reading: Research Writing: Finish your research paper! Submit your essay electronically before the final by Presentation: Terms emailing a copy saved in MS word to Discussion: QHQ Far and Film email@example.com How and why does Far resist?What are Evaluate your blogging responses. Submit your the social implications of her doing so? evaluation electronically before our next class byClass 21 Why do people reverse pass? emailing a copy saved in MS word to Assessing Blogging Responses firstname.lastname@example.org Discussion/Writing: Essay #4 Prepare revision of essay #2 or #3 Submit your essay electronically before our next class by emailing a copy saved in MS word to email@example.com Studying: TermsWeek Twelve Finish Essay #4 Reverse/Refusing to Pass Essay #5June 24-28Monday Individual conferences in my office Finish your paperClass 22: Final Exam: Terms (Comprehensive)Regular class In-Class Essay #5 (Refusing tostarts 8:30 a.m. :: Pass/Reverse Passing)Exam on Research Paper Essay #4 Due NO MORE HOMEWORK FOR 1B!Wednesday, June Revision of essay 2 or 3 due26 at 7:00-9:00 Self-evaluation of blogging responsesa.m. Due