• Writing Workshop: Revision strategies: Your
participation grade depends on your active
participation in the peer review session.
3. Preparation for Peer
1. Everyone should have two copies of his or
2. Everyone should have a copy of the peer
3. If you don’t have two copies of your
essay, please go and make them.
Hopefully, there will be a space for you
when you return.
4. The Process
• We will work in pairs.
• Exchange papers so that readers can follow along.
• Each person will read his or her essay aloud. EVERYONE
SHOULD FINISH READING BEFORE ANYONE BEGINS
• Readers will follow along as the writer presents his or her
work; readers may circle obvious errors.
5. Follow the directions under these additional steps
1. Read for a first impression
2. Evaluate the organization
3. Look at the beginning.
4. Find the thesis.
5. Find the classifications of the concept.
6. Determine if the classifications of the are concept defined
7. Find the types of the concept listed within the categories
8. Are there suitable examples in each paragraph?
9. Has the writer explained how the examples add depth to the definition(s)
of the concept?
10. Has the writer compared his or her concept to another one? Does this
help to explain the concept? Can you suggest a concept to compare it to?
11. Does the writer use images to help explain the concept? Would images
be helpful? Do you have a suggestion?
12. Read the ending to make sure it successfully wraps up the essay
13. Assess the formatting and sources.
14. Give the writer your final thoughts.
6. This is not an editing exercise;
it is a revision process.
This session is geared toward revision—not editing.
While you may circle errors you notice in the
text, refrain from making editing suggestions, that is
spelling, grammar, and word choice suggestions.
Your job as a reader is to answer the questions on the
handout. These questions will help you help the writer
to improve the paper in terms of
organization, content, integrating quotations, and MLA
If you don’t know the answer to a question, ask me. I
will be happy to help you.
7. Get a Partner
Oldest Student Reads First
8. Write: Post #33
clean copy of
essay to class.