I’m not an SEO guru.
I’m a mediocre hacker at best.
Please hold questions till the end.
Wikipedia defines SEO as:
◦ “The process of improving the visibility of a website or a web page in
a search engine's "natural" or un-paid ("organic") search results.”
I always hear that Google loves Wordpress
◦ Seth says, "WordPress uses SEO standards when building HTML tags and
URL's, and the UIX makes it very easy to apply keyword targeting to each
page by mirroring the page text title by default.“
◦ Jon says, “It’s easy and it works.
First do some “basic” keyword research!
◦ 3-5 site focused keywords
◦ 1 main focused keyword phrase per page/post
Once setup the plugin works in the
background for you
This plugin makes “On-Page SEO” dummy-
2 main parts to this plugin
1. Settings – for site setup
2. On page – for targeted post/page SEO
Titles & Metas
◦ General tab – I usually leave these unchecked
◦ Home tab – manually change these particular pages
◦ Post types, Taxonomies, and Other tabs
Use defaults to begin with
Use Help tab when your ready to change
◦ Add FB, Twitter, and Google+ links to your site
XML Sitemaps – site’s outline
◦ It will create it for you.
◦ Submit sitemaps on Webmaster tools
◦ Usually leave on defaults
Internal Links (Breadcrumbs)
◦ Will have to make it work with your theme
◦ How your posts show up in RSS feeds
Import & Export
◦ If your bringing in info from somewhere else
◦ Robots.txt and htaccess file changes
Traffic Lights - “I need pictures”
◦ Green = Good, Red = bad
◦ Use for Page URL as well
SEO Title and Description
◦ Automatic if setup or manually input
◦ How it will appear on search engines
Page Analysis – SEO for dummies
◦ Tells us exactly what to do to improve post/page
◦ Defaults are usually ok
◦ Make unique FB and Google+ descriptions