39. Inbound links www.yoursite.com/page-awww.anothersite.com/page-b g Cool! So long as this other site is trusted and not nasty / spammy
40. Reciprocal links www.yoursite.com/page-a www.anothersite.com/page-b Beloved of ‘SEO’ companies. gUnless there is a ‘real world’ partnership , you could be penalised by Google
41. Links pass authority Local Chamber of Commerce Few people link to it, but those that do are trustworthy Link Farm BBC Loads of links to lots of links to it, but mainlyit, so it has lots of reciprocal and authority quite a few questionable links Your site g Cultivate links from trusted websites, they pass more authority
42. Links pass authority Business Local partner press Trade Local blog magazineBBC Your Local Chamber of Commerce site A diverse, but relevant, g of linking websites is best set
44. Get inbound links to important pages www.yoursite.com/stuff-the-customer-buys www.anothersite.com/page-b Your homepage will always rank well, g give deeper, important pages some love so
45. I can’t get a link from Auntie Beeb http://www.flickr.com/people/el_momento_i_sitio_apropiados/ g model: su novia
46. Au Contraire Russell Smith Editorial Development BBC News Website @Russell__Smith• Links essential to online journalism• BBC strategy to double outbound links from 10m to 20m a month by 2013 g http://www.scribd.com/GuardianTech/d/38963534-BBC-guidelines-for-linking-%E2%80%93-Sept-2010
47. Thanks, Russell!http://www.flickr.com/people/el_momento_i_sitio_apropiados/ g model: su novia
48. Keep it natural Is this• Number 5 on Google UK reflected on news• Number 1 on Google UK sites, social media, searc• Number 8 on Google UK h volumes? g http://www.google.co.uk/search?&q=trampolines
49. HOW TO GET MORE LINKS quality and relevance are key
50. Who links to your competitors? http://www.opensiteexplorer.org/ g Apply common sense to these results!
51. Who mentions your competitors? g Type <“your competitors name”> -site:<their webaddress> into a Google search
52. Get involved, get links• Discussion forums (be a really useful engine)• Research (white papers, or mine your data)• Social bookmarking (reddit, stumbleupon, etc)• Comment on industry blogs• Why not start your own blog? g Actually, scratch that.
53. Get involved, get links• Discussion forums (be a really useful engine)• Research (white papers, or mine your data)• Social bookmarking (reddit, stumbleupon, etc)• Comment on industry blogs• Why not start your own blog? g Because your visitors and Google love fresh, up to date content!
54. GOOGLE READS ALL YOUR CONTENT quality and relevance are key (again)
55. How does Google determine relevance? Looks pretty, AND made with code and text = Accessible, good experience Looks pretty, but is all images.(Even the words, they are part of the image, as if you’d taken a photograph of a motorway sign). Not computer readable = Inaccessible, poor experience The code and text returns below, but this is really, really bad. g A site that is accessible makes the web a better place for everyone. This is a good thing.
56. How does Google determine relevance? g http://www.noisylittlemonkey.com/news/499/how-is-google-plus-changing-search-results/
57. Domain level indicatorsDon’t change your domain name to match g popular search without setting up 301 redirects first a
58. Search terms in the file path g If your website isn’t built like this, you need to get a new website. Seriously.
59. Search terms in the Page Title g This also shows on Google’s results page, so make it snappy, useful and attract the click!
60. Search terms in the Page Headline Make sure your site is accessible for blind people – this mustnt be an image! g AND don’t waste the space by saying ‘Welcome to our site’
61. Search terms in the Alt Text g Make sure your site is accessible for blind people – label all images
62. Search terms in the copy gUse synonyms and keep it readable for humans. Don’t just stuff search terms in here
63. Search terms in the Meta Description Becomes this on Google g View Source to see it. Right click white space in Chrome / Firefox / Safari and select “View Source”
64. YOUR PAGE MATCHES A SEARCHwhen it is good quality and highly relevant
65. I don’t know how people search http://www.flickr.com/people/el_momento_i_sitio_apropiados/ g model: su novia
66. Maybe I can help? This is good for volumes. Ignore those numbers g http://www.google.co.uk/insights/search
67. Maybe I can help? This stuff is better than the AdWords Keyword Research tool! Ignore the regional stuff too. That data is definitely off. g
68. Thanks, Google!http://www.flickr.com/people/el_momento_i_sitio_apropiados/ g model: su novia
69. Aim low(ish). Seriously. Search Demand Curve courtesy of SEOmoz g
70. GOOGLE IS WATCHING YOU and your friends
71. What are you talking about? g Word cloud of @NoisyMonkey’s last 20 tweets
72. What are you talking about? Word cloud of Noisyg Little Monkey’s Facebook page
73. What are you talking about? g Word cloud of Noisy Little Monkey’s Google+ page
74. What are you talking about? Word cloud of Noisy LittlegMonkey’s Blog for the last 6 months
75. Who are you talking to? We’re talking to local businesses and international SEO experts. g Pretty much matches how we do business
76. And who are they talking to? g Matt and Jon are our main guys for Twitter, they reach out.
77. And what are they talking about? g Word cloud of @MrJonPayne’s last 20 tweets
78. Who shares your stuff? Sharing diagram ofghttp://theoatmeal.com/sopa
79. BEHAVE LIKE A TRUSTED BRAND not a ‘thin affiliate’
80. Who gives best price & service? g Google’s results
81. Who gives best price & service? g Figleaves?
82. Who gives best price & service? g underwear.co.uk?
83. Thin Affiliates…• Earn ad revenue - send visitors to other sites• Have little content, other than ads• Often employ – auto generated content – scraped content – poorly written content• Use doorway pages• Are built with low cost turn key solutions• Get a high bounce rate g http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66361
84. Real brands gHave real addresses, geographic phone numbers
85. Real brandsHave real about us pages,gthat link to relevant social networks
86. Real brands gHave employees on LinkedIn (& www.freebase.com)
87. Real brands gAre paid up members of trade associations and pay for link(s) on Yell
88. Real brands gGet branded search volume because of offline marketing & communications
89. REAL BRANDS GET THEIR SOCIAL ON But that’s a whole other kettle of slides
90. RESULTSAre you local, mobile, reviewable?
91. Local listing gVerify that you’re the business owner on Google & Bing to get in the maps
92. Local listing• Verify your listing ASAP!• Add nice photos / videos• Request reviews from customers• Submit to local directories• Create a business profile on – Bview – Qype – Yelp – Foursquare http://www.google.com/places/ g http://www.bingforbusiness.com/
93. Shopping listing Are you goingg click the No 1 result? to
94. Shopping listing• Verify Google product feed• Compare price• Optimise product names / descriptions• Utilise all feeds available – Images – Average review – Review count – EAN / Barcode g http://www.google.co.uk/merchants/
95. Also consider g Mobile, video, news, rich snippets
96. The game changer is coming… g Google Circles in Gmail?
97. Get your business on Google+ This is a HUGE change. Google g doesn’t mess with it’s results pages lightly
98. Get your business on Google+ This is a HUGE change. Google g doesn’t mess with it’s results pages lightly
99. TAKE AWAYS
100. Understand that SEO = NGreat content is what gets you great rankings g http://www.stochasticgeometry.ie/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/snakeoil.jpg?w=257
101. g CupidOK
102. Great content gets you old school SEO and brand awareness g
103. Take Aways• Do search term research (Google Insights)• Insert relevant search terms on each page – Or give to your web designer in a spread sheet• Use 301 redirects if you change domain• Use 301 redirects if you change URLs• Sign up to Google Webmaster Tools – Submit an XML sitemap g
104. Take Aways• Get good graphs from Google Analytics• Improve pages that cause exits• Add a contact box to every page of your site• Create great content - attract links & mentions• Seed new content socially• http://www.NoisyLittleMonkey.com/Feedback Give feedback and view a copy of these slides + a printable tip sheet g