SOCIAL MEDIA FOR YOUR BUSINESS
TWEET US: @SALLYANNEHOWELL
NOISY LITTLE MONKEY
• With a unique hybrid of search optimisation, social media
marketing, creative flair and technical wizardry, we drive
traffic, enquiries and sales
Specialising in online activity, maximising conversions from offline
SEARCH & SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING
Over 80 businesses, charities and gov’t bodies in EU, USA & Africa
WHO’D TRUST A MONKEY?
BEFORE WE GET SOCIAL
WHERE DO YOU SEND YOUR VISITORS?
WHERE? ON YOUR SITE!
• Social media works best when there is some meat on the
• WordPress is the best
• Your web designer will love it
ELSE, WHERE WILL PEOPLE WHO FOLLOW YOU GO?
• It needs to be:
– On www.<yoursite>/blog
– Updated regularly
– Give useful information
– Contain unique insights / perspective / news
– Running the Yoast SEO plug in
Because people get their social on from smartphones
CHOOSE AN ADAPTIVE DESIGN
THINK OF MOBILE USERS
REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD BE ON SOCIAL
Image Credit: http://bit.ly/1h9RxkF
BUT NOT ALL THE SOCIAL CHANNELS!
• Increase visitors to website
• Increase brand loyalty & engage with existing audiences
• Sales, sales and more sales
• Market intelligence / competitor analysis
ITS NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
IF YOU’RE DOING THIS…
YOUR AUDIENCE WILL BE DOING THIS…
Who are you writing for?
What are their goals?
What are they interested in?
How can you help?
How do you find your audience?
Straight forward language
Reads The Register, Seth Godin,
Homes & Gardens, the headlines
on the gutter press
Uses Email. BBC apps
Sarah – Aged 40Dan - 30
Developer (agency based)
Work / Life (18 month old kid)
The new boy is better than me
Productivity Tools, management
advice, Google Glass, to be
Reads netmums, nhs direct,
Stackoverflow, Wired, Oatmeal,
Uses r/tech, Facebook
Vicky - 25
Being ahead of the latest geek trends,
stock news, tech gossip, being found
Google Glass, Bylines in the nationals,
her big break.
Reads The Register, Guardian Tech,
gizmodo, TC, Mashable, Buzzfeed,
Uses r/tech, Google+, Twitter &
CC: Wordlizen, Dekcuf, GuySie
LETS GET ORGANISING!
FAILING TO PREPARE IS PREPARING TO FAIL
(AND ALL THAT JAZZ)
• Events you run
• Interviews with attendees
• Interesting news from your area / in your industry
• Opinion pieces – you are awesome!
• Industry research
• Topical news stories
CREATING & COLLATING
@SallyanneHowellImage Credit: http://bit.ly/1fVu6dX
CREATING A CONTENT CALENDAR
Use tools to schedule – plan in advance
JELLY BEANS AND BREAD AND BUTTER
ENGAGING ON TWITTER
HOW TO TWEET FOR ENGLAND
• Get visual – people love photos!
• Ask for what you want – Pls RT, Share with your friends
• Seize the moment – events you attend, use hashtags
• Include a call to action – join our mailing list, come along to
• Create urgency – “enter our competition today to win a free
• Demonstrate thought leadership
• Converse with people – thanks for attending, what do you
• Own your space – engage with local community
A QUICK GUIDE TO TWEETING
IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE…
Sign up for free: https://mail.google.com/
THEN YOU HAVE A G+ ACCOUNT. WHY?
THE G TO THE PLUS
• Starting out – see if existing contacts are on G+
• Connect your website to your G+ page – Google is all knowing but wan
• Use communities to share your content
• Post to G+ whenever you post a blog post
HOW TO WIN ON G+
Question Show of hands
Intro to what pinterest, what n why