1. Jonathan Kopp Partner & Global Director, Ketchum Digital @jonathankopp [email_address]
2. Why We’re Here <ul><li>G+ social networking features </li></ul><ul><li>G+ for business </li></ul><ul><li>Strategic considerations </li></ul><ul><li>Competitive context </li></ul>
3. @ 5-Months Beta release: June 28, 2011 -Public launch: September 20, 2011 -40 million users in 4 months -Brand pages launch: November 9, 2011 -Over 1 billion items shared daily
5. Stream Like Facebook’s Wall (but with no ads)
6. Circles <ul><li>Comparable to Facebook’s Friends & Followers. </li></ul><ul><li>Controls who sees or doesn‘t see posts. </li></ul><ul><li>Users can add multiple Circles. </li></ul><ul><li>User is the only person who sees where people are placed. </li></ul><ul><li>Share your circles. </li></ul>
7. Who’s In Your Circles? A-List Influencers on G+
8. <ul><li>Tagging a user by typing their name preceded by a “+” allows only that person to see a particular post. </li></ul><ul><li>Tagging an individual & Circle(s) makes a post visible to that person & the selected Circle(s). </li></ul><ul><li>Users can now tag Pages, too. </li></ul>Tagging with Circles
9. Privacy Settings with Circles (and pseudonyms coming soon) How news now travels. Privacy controls
10. Circles: the New Media List <ul><li>Search in G+ for people, brands, companies, issues, pictures, etc. </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Use #hashtags, too. </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Create a circle (or use an existing circle) to follow these people. </li></ul>1) Click here. 2) This box will appear. Simply name the group and click on “Create.” 3) Check the box to add the person to this circle. 4) The person will now appear in your stream.
11. Sparks <ul><li>Search for a user’s interests. </li></ul><ul><li>Quick monitoring for keywords, a la RSS or Google Reader. </li></ul><ul><li>Use specific keywords to help your page appear more frequently. </li></ul>
13. Photos From Circles 3.4B uploads in 100 days Photo search
14. Get Creative with Content Use the G+ “Creative Kit” to enhance & alter photos for improved visual storytelling. G+ #hashtags provide flexible search options.
15. Chat & Hangouts <ul><li>IM with text or video. </li></ul><ul><li>Up to 10 users at a time – public or selected. </li></ul><ul><li>Can share & watch YouTube videos together. </li></ul>
16. 3 rd Party Apps “ Hangouts” just got more fun -Broadcast & record your Hangouts. -Add chat function for increased engagement.
17. Social Games Angry Birds was one of the inaugural brand pages
18. Mobile <ul><li>Messenger allows text message blasts </li></ul><ul><li>to your Circles. </li></ul><ul><li>Posts allow for check-ins. </li></ul><ul><li>Mobile users can find “Nearby” users. </li></ul>Hangouts / video chat features on ANDROID devices Photo courtesy of: http://androinica.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/hangouts-google-plus2-235x186.jpg
19. Ripples for Social Analytics <ul><li>Conversation tracking </li></ul><ul><li>Measurement </li></ul><ul><li>Engagement </li></ul><ul><li>Analytics </li></ul><ul><li>Influencer identification </li></ul>
20. for Business
21. Google Apps / G+ Integration For Internal Communications G+ Hangouts with Extras Increase productivity through live collaboration on documents & multi-person video chat.
23. INAUGURAL G+ BRAND PAGES All American Rejects Anderson Cooper 360 Angry Birds Barcelona Football Club Burberry Dallas Cowboys Good Morning America H&M Macy’s Modelland The Muppets* Pepsi Phoenix Suns Save the Children Special Report with Bret Baier Toyota Train WWE X Games Zen Bikes Inaugural G+ Pages
24. Create Your G+ Page https://plus.google.com/pages/create
25. Access & Manage Your G+ Page Upon signing into your Google+ account, you will see “pages” under your name. NOTE: G+ DOES NOT YET SUPPORT MULTIPLE ADMINS OR ACCOUNT TRANSFERS . Like Twitter (but unlike Facebook), a brand page can follow its fans back (only after a fan follows the brand). This allows the brand page to comment on its fans’ updates (& vice versa) and increase fan engagement.
26. +1 & + : Geared for Google Search SEO SEM Websites using Google’s “+1” button get 3.5X the Google+ visits. Direct Connect with “+” Note : requires G+ website integration
27. G+ Ties “+1’s” Together Courtesy of Google
28. Analytics: +1 Button Insights Courtesy of Google
29. How to + Up Your G+ Page
30. Some Creative Examples http://gpluspic.com/banner Intel asks, “ Which circle are you in? ” To ensure more relevant, targeted conversations
31. Building More Personal Relationships- Hangout With Your Audience
32. G+ : Unlikely Winner In NBA Lockout? UPDATE: TOUR CANCELED DUE TO RESOLUTION Meanwhile, all 30 MLB teams have set up G+ Pages. And many sports franchises are exploring YouTube live stream arrangements.
33. Some Strategic Considerations
34. Why Use G+? 40 million+ registered users as of Oct. 19 th Approx. 69% male, heavily tech/coastal Follow your audience. Leave no stone unturned… Photo courtesy of: http://www.singlegrain.com/blog/facebook-vs-google-plus/ Photo courtesy of: http://www.guy-sports.com/fun_pictures/stone_unturned.jpg
35. Leverage the Google-plex Picasa / “Google Photos”: pictures YouTube: videos Blogger / “Google Blogs”: longer form content Share on G+ Drive SEO Android Sparks
36. Channel Strategy Respect the Network Don ’t post the same message on G+ as you would on Facebook, Twitter, etc. Each requires a different approach. Limited to 140 characters. Short, information, links, quick thoughts. Maximized with link shorteners. More frequent posts generally accepted by users. More tech/coastal/male. No commercial content. Pose questions, discussion starters, and stories. Post with SEO & Sparks in mind; Make sure to call out keywords for search index, rank & relevance. More consumer/mass/brand friendly. Seek engagement, e.g., with humor, questions, polls & discount offers. Post with EdgeRank in mind, so your posts find their way into fans ’ newsfeed.
37. <ul><li>Build & manage a social media content & conversation calendar </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Keep it directional & flexible. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Remain relevant to real world events. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Monitor & be responsive. </li></ul></ul><ul><li>70/30 Rule </li></ul><ul><ul><li>70% talk about what they want to talk about. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>New “What’s Hot” feature helps spot trends & memes. </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>30% talk about your brand & news . </li></ul></ul>Managing Community & Content: Best Practices Still Apply
38. G+ Offers These Best Practices (and we tend to agree) Courtesy of Google
41. <ul><li>Pull Up a Level </li></ul><ul><ul><li>The social network is merely one feature </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>G+ adds a “social layer” to the Internet </li></ul></ul>
42. Key Takeaways +/- <ul><li>Is new & already off to an exciting start, with deep integration into other Google products. </li></ul><ul><li>Adds a “social layer” to the web. </li></ul><ul><li>It features rich & ad free content, making it an uncluttered & exciting user experience, with great promise for brands & organizations. </li></ul>Still in “beta,” with ongoing evolutions. Hasn’t achieved anywhere near mass adoption. Adds another channel to our distribution lists.
46. Photo courtesy of: Mashable.com
47. Jonathan Kopp Partner & Global Director, Ketchum Digital @jonathankopp [email_address]