The Virgins of Cavite: Religiosity, Arts and History Teresita P. Unabia Rosanni R. Sarile Bernardo N. Sepeda (Researchers)
NUESTRA SEÑORA DEL PILAR (Imus) History The image of the Nuestra Señora del Pilar was brought to the Philippines from Spain by Rev. Fr. Martin Lumbreras Sanchez Perez Peralta, OAR, in 1623. It was first enthroned on a small altar in the Church of San Nicolas de Tolentino at Intramuros, Manila. On May 28, 1694, the Recollect friars transferred the image of the Virgin of the Pillar to the Casa Hacienda de Imus. A plan to construct a church in the Hacienda in honor of the Virgin was approved on March 13, 1766. More than thirteen (13) years after, on September 27, 1779, the new church was finished and the image of Nuestra Señora del Pilar was enthroned in the main altar. Nuestra Señora del Pilar became the patroness of the Parish of Imus when it separated from the spiritual jurisdiction of the Jesuits of Kawit, the mother town, on October 3, 1795. With the separation of the Diocese of Imus from the Archdiocese of Manila on November 25, 1961, the Nuestra Señora del Pilar was declared as Titular Patroness and Protectress of the whole diocese and of the whole Province of Cavite. Source: Documents for the Request for the Canonical Coronation of the Image of Nuestra Señora Del Pilar of Imus, Cavite, Philippines. Signed by Mr. Nestor Crisostomo Victa, Jr., coordinator, the Servants and Handmaids of Our Lady of the Pillar; Mrs. Ellen Maluto Palma-Sosa, representative of the caretaker family of the Holy Image; and noted by Rev. Fr. Allan C. Valero, moderator, Team Ministry, Our Lady of the Pillar Parish, Imus Cathedral and president of the Parish Pastoral Council. November, 2010.
LA INMACULADA CONCEPCION1 (Dasmariñas City)Source:1 Historical Markers: Regions I-IV. National Historical Institute, 1993:48
History The Royal Order creating the Parroquia De Perez-Dasmariñas was signed by Queen Isabella II on October 21, 18662 under the administration of the Order of Recollects of Saint Augustine.3 The parish was placed under the patronage of the Immaculate Concepcion whose image was sculpted by Esperidion Arevalo of Sta. Cruz, Manila. It was installed in 1867. On December 7, 2002, Most Rev. Bishop Emeritus Manuel Sobreviñas, DD, led the Symbolical Coronation of the Blessed Virgin during a concelebrated mass. The next day, December 8, Most Rev. Bishop Luis Antonio Tagle, DD, was the principal celebrant during the Dedication of the Church themed Si Maria, La ‘Purissima’ Inmaculada Concepcion, Reyna ng Pamilyang Dasmarineño. Sources: 2 Medina, Isagani R. 2002. Cavite Before the Revolution (1571-1896). Quezon City: University of the Philippines Press and Cavite Historical Society. P. 259. 3 Bernad, Miguel A. S.J. 1972. The Christianization of the Philippines: Problems and Perspectives. Manila: The Filipiniana Book Guild, p. 237.
History The image of the Nuestra Señora De Candelaria, patroness of the town of Silang, at the facade of the church structure is described as a polychromed.1 On the other hand, the statue in the main retablo is of hardwood sculpture. 2 Based on the origin myth, the image of the Blessed Virgin was found by Andres, a native, in the mountains of Silang in 1640. 3 The beauty of the Lady captivated a friend of Andres and asked for it. A temporary place of worship was built for her. People were awed. They gathered together and prayed. One time, the man failed to observe the sacredness of a Friday as mentioned to him by his folks. He went on a journey. Upon his return, the image of the Virgin was nowhere to be found. He searched, found her and the faithful asked forgiveness. The Nuestra Señora was brought home. After eight other disappearances, the image was placed on the retablo at the gospel side. Sources: 1 Javellana, René B. 1991. Wood & Stone: For God’s Greater Glory Jesuit Art and Architecture in the Philippines. Quezon City: Ateneo de Manila University Press. P. 75, #65 2 ibid. p. 119 3 ibid. p. 204. See also, Bernad, Miguel A. The Christianization of the Philippines: Problems and perspectives. Volume XX. Manila: Filipiniana Book Guild, 1972.
Representations of the Virgin Mary in the main retabloof Nuestra Señora de Candelaria Parish
NUESTRA SEÑORA DELA ASUNCION (Maragondon)There are three statues of the Nuestra Señora Dela Asuncion in the Parishof Maragondon. One is the original image with missing fingers1 andenigmatic or engaging look because the Virgin Mary seems to be smilingfrom its left side, but from its right, she appears solemn.2 The secondimage is the Birheng Nakatayo.3 This standing Virgin Mary is in theretablo of the church. The image looks up at the heavens. The statue wascarved out of kamagong. Its face and hands are made of ivory. Thoughthe parish was officially established in 1627, the image was purchased asearly as 1620 for seventy pesos (P70.00) by the faithful of Maragondon.The third is the Birheng Nakaupo or seated Virgin Mary. 4Sources:1 Nuestra Señora Dela Asuncion. 2010:8, 15, 20.2 ibid. p.163 ibid. pp. 8, 14, 154 ibid. pp. 12, 13
The image with her missing ivory fingers The original statue of Nuestra Señora Dela Asuncion carved outThe seemingly smiling image of kamagong.
Birheng Nakatayo or Standing Virgin at the main altar
Birheng Nakaupo, the third image of Our Lady of the Assumption inMaragondon, Cavite, Philippines
Nuestra Señora del Rosario is the patroness of Rosario, one of the pueblos bajos erected at the turn of the 19th century. According to Medina (2002), the Virgin was enthroned on the same date that the town was created by virtue of Narciso Claveria y Zalduas’ decree on October 22, 1845.1 However, the date written by Fr. Gilberto Urubio, present parish priest, on his questionnaire was October 7, 1845.2 Furthermore, Kahapong kay Yaman by Saenz Mendoza and Que, the parish was established in 1846. 3 In spite of varying dates, Nuestra Señora del Rosario had its coronation on October 7, 1995, its sesquicentennial.Sources:1 Medina, Isagani R. 2002. Cavite Before the Revolution (1571-1896). Quezon City: University of the Philippine Press and Cavite HistoricalSociety. pp. 46-472 Questionnaire retrieved from Fr. Gilberto Urubio, June 15, 2012. Also, interview with Fr. Urubio on June 15, 2012 from 9:30-10:30 a.m.3 Golden Jubilee Primer – Kahapong Kay Yaman: Isang Sulyap sa Makulay na Kasaysayan ng Simbahan Katoliko sa Cavite. Inihanda nina: Fr.Virgilio Saenz Mendoza at Bro. Wilson Que. p. 23
Magallanes was created by a Royal Order on September 10, 1880. 1 It was the last town founded in Cavite in the 19th century. Ecclesiastically, Magallanes was separated from Maragondon.2 A marker states “Parroquia De Magallanes Cavite Fundada En El Año 1883.” Its patroness is Nuestra Señora de Guia.Sources:1 Medina, Isagani R. 2002. Cavite Before the Revolution (1571-1896). Quezon City: University of the Philippine Press and Cavite Historical Society.p. 2562 Pangilinan, Gervacio y Enriquez. 2001. The Historic Cavite (La Historica Cavite. Translated from Spanish by Lourdes Arespacochaga. Cavite: CaviteHistorical Society. p. 234