1. XenServer and OpenStackJohn Garbutt, Senior Software Developer, Citrix@johngarbutt27th September 2012
2. But Citrix does CloudStack?… but still got 3 people full time on OpenStack
3. Why use Xen?… because it was built for the Cloud!
4. History of Xen
5. We propose a system that can execute code suppliedby an untrusted user, yet can charge this user for allresources consumed by the computation. Suchservers could be deployed at strategic locationsthroughout the Internet Xenoservers: Accounted execution of untrusted code IEEE Hot Topics in Operating Systems VII March 1999
6. Why use Xen today?• Open Source with a large community and ecosystem• Mature and “Cloud Proven” ᵒAmazon, Rackspace and many others• True Type 1 hypervisor ᵒReduced TCB ᵒBest security, isolation, performance, scalability mix• Probably 10-12 Million OpenSource Users ᵒe.g. 3 x people on Debian have used Xen in the last 30 days vs KVM ᵒ12% of Ubuntu Servers hosted on Xen
7. “Type 1” vs “Type 2” Hypervisor
8. What is XenAPI?
9. Xen Terminology Xen = virtual machine monitor XenAPI = API to manage Xen XAPI = XenAPI deamon Dom0 = trusted management VM DomU = untrusted guest VM
10. 5 32 1 4
11. How can I get started?Xen Cloud Platform (XCP) Citrix XenServer• Includes Xen and XAPI • Includes Xen and XAPI• Supported by Xen Community • Fully Supported by Citrix• Fully OpenSource • Free edition• xcp-xapi package ᵒWindows VMs ᵒPool based Live Migration ᵒDebian Wheezy & Ubuntu Precise ᵒHopefully in Fedora soon• http://xen.org/products/cloudxen.html http://citrix.com/xenserver/download
12. XenAPI with OpenStack?… it’s what Rackspace use!
13. 2 3 4 1
14. How can I get started?
15. Getting Startedhttps://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/blob/master/tools/xen Install XenServer Run DevStack
16. Ideas for the Future… help us choose and help us code?
17. Even Better IsolationLook at Citrix XenClient XT
18. Where can I find out more?
19. Further Reading• http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServer• http://wiki.openstack.org/HypervisorSupportMatrix• http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/introduction- to-xen.html• http://wiki.xen.org