Ideal Team Member ? Develops and displays competence. Follows through on commitments. Delivers required results. Ensures their actions are consistent with their words. Stands behind the team and its people. Is enjoyable to work with. Is passionate about their work and those they serve. Communicates and keep everyone informed. Helps the other members of the team. Helps members of other teams. Shares ideas, information and credit. Hold themself 100% accountable. Page 1
1. Lack of TRUST2. Lack of Candor3. Lack of Commitment4. Lack of Accountability5. Lack of RESULTS 1 - 10 Page 1
HIGH Affection TRUSTConcern Distrust Respect LOW LOW HIGH Competence Page 2 3
The 4 must You Cs of Trust ConsistentlyCommunicate that you are Competentand you Care
“I am good atwhat I do… and I do it because Icare about you.”
The 6 Keys to a High-Performance TeamD irection – vivid, clear, inspiring --- sharedM easurements – specific, observable, focusedC ompetence – very good at what they doC ommunication – open, honest, courageousM utual Accountability – all team membersD iscipline – do this every day Page 2
What Inhibits Execution? National Survey of 14,000 Senior Executives4. Inability to work together3. Company culture2. Economic climate Page 31. Holding onto the past / unwillingness to CHANGE
In other words… you In order to succeed need a high-performance team that is extremely customer focused and embraces a strong culture of disciplined execution and accountability while being nimble, agile and adaptable to changes in the marketplace.
1. There is a real void of clear,direct and understandablecommunication about thedirection of the organization.This results in people doingwhat they want to do, notwhat they need to do andbreeds a climate of not caringabout the customers/clientsor their colleagues.
2. Dysfunctional behavior is accepted orignored and worse yet, colleagues,management reward it.
3. There is no definition of what isacceptable and what is unacceptableperformance. Page 3
4. Management does not promote andconfirm that accountability is a keyprinciple within the company. Page 3
5. Good people mayleave because offrustration that theiremployer is ignoring theissue and is notproactive in seeking andimplementing asolution to change theenvironment. Page 3
Where are we going + how will we behave on the way? Vision + Values Praise + Celebration Focus and Reward / Differentiation Strategy Eliminate Mediocrity Punish “No”Measure / Track 9 Steps for Communicate Adjust / Stakeholders + Transparency Innovate Ensuring Commitment guiding collation Renewal Effective Execution Vision + Values Training + Strategy time / money / Support Alignment Plans supplies / people Goals / Objectives Tactics / Actions Communication Systems Procedures / Protocols Clear / consistent / relentless Repeatable Process Page 4
Workshop: Pages 5 & 6• What are the top THREE things you must do right away to dramatically increase the level of trust and accountability in your organization? Page 5 & 6
Thank You If you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to send a note or call. My email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org My twitter address is: @awesomelysimple Please connect with me on LinkedInAlso, you might find value in the ideas I share in my blog. You can sign up for it at: www.blog.johnspence.com Lastly, these slides have already been uploaded to: www.slideshare.net/johnspence Page 6