Using Your Learning Style to
Center for Tutoring & Academic Excellence
Goals for tonight
• Overview of learning style (VAK)
• How to effectively use your style to improve
• How to use peers, and other learning styles, to
A little about you
• How do you currently take notes during
• How do you internalize information that you
• How are you currently studying?
• How often do you work in group settings?
Learning Styles Inventory
Take some time to answer honestly
What are learning styles?
• Manner in which one’s brain comprehend and
• Different types
– VAK (Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic)
Suggestions for Visual Learners
• Use visual materials
– Brain storm bubble or picture
– Write a story and illustrate it
– Use color and color-coding in
– Use mnemonics, acronyms,
visual chains, and mind maps
– Create charts / diagrams
to demonstrate key points
• Visualize information as a
picture to aid memorization
• Have a clear view of
• Take notes or request
• Study in a quiet place away
from verbal disturbances
Visual Learners Cont.
– Organize materials and
to create graphs, tables,
charts, and spreadsheets
• When explaining something,
write the explanation down
• Organize your material.
– The more you organize your
notes and study material, the
easier it will be for you to
• Actively review any
photographs or diagrams in
• Make and use flashcards for
– The act of writing the cards
and viewing them will
Suggestions for Auditory Learners
• Participate in class discussions/debates
– speeches and presentations
• Use a tape recorder during lectures instead of taking notes and
review these tapes while you drive.
• Go over all important facts aloud
• Use verbal analogies, and story telling to demonstrate your
• Create mnemonics and word links to aid memorization
• Discuss your ideas verbally
– Dictate to someone while they write down your thoughts
• Create musical jingles to aid memorization
Auditory Learners Cont.
• Make up and repeat rhymes to remember facts, dates, names.
• Join or create a study group, or to get a study partner
– Explain the material you are trying to learn to a study partner
• To learn a sequence of steps, write them out in sentence
form, then read them out loud
• When learning new information, state the problem out loud.
Reason through solutions out loud.
Suggestions for Kinesthetic Learners
• Move around to learn new
– Read while on an exercise
bike, mold a piece of clay to
learn a new concept
• Work at a standing position
• Chew gum while studying
• Use bright colors to
highlight reading material
• If you wish, listen to music
while you study
• Skim through reading
material to get a rough idea
what it is about before
settling down to read it in
• Sit near the front of their
classroom to take notes.
– Will help in focusing on the
Kinesthetic Learners Cont.
• Hold the book in your hand
• Write while you are reading or
– Use the computer to reinforce
learning using their sense of
• Make models that demonstrate
the key concept.
– The purpose here is the act of
making the model.
• Use hands-on experience
• Participate in any field trips
• Associate feelings with
Why is it important to know your
• Improved skills in learning complex ideas
• Efficiency in studying and reading
• How to best work within groups
• Ability to create environment that fosters
Why else do you think it is beneficial to know
your learning style?
Your professor is not teaching
nor willing to teach in a manner
that speaks to your learning style,
What should you do?
What to do…
1. Be more hands on with your independent learning
2. When you get home, review your notes in your preferred
learning style method
3. Do your own research!
– Look for videos
– Look for additional articles or books to read
4. Come to class extra prepared
• CTAE offers different opportunities for
– Small group tutoring
– Study buddy directory
– Academic coaching groups
– Tutor-led study halls
• Visit luc.edu/tutoring for more details