1. A2 media short film <ul><li>Our idea is to create a short film based on the physiological thriller sub-genre </li></ul><ul><li>We follow someone suffering from paranoia, using techniques such as fast cuts to connote this </li></ul><ul><li>However, the twist would be that we never tell the audience that the subject has paranoia so it could be perceived in a number of ways </li></ul>
2. What is a thriller? Thrillers are films that create a sense of suspense, tension and uncertainty They keep the audience at the 'edge of their seats' as the plot builds towards a climax. The tension usually arises when the main character is placed in a menacing situation or mystery from which escape seems impossible. Usually the principal character is unsuspecting or unknowingly involved in a dangerous or potentially deadly situation.
3. Sub-Genres There are several sub-genres in the thriller category which are Mystery thriller Psychological thriller These are suspense films where characters attempt to solve or are involved in a mystery The conflict between the main characters is mental and emotional, rather than physical.
4. Sub-Genres Crime thriller Conspiracy thriller These are a hybrid of both crime films and thrillers, then focusing on the criminals and usually emphasise action over the psychological aspects. In which the hero/heroine confronts a large, powerful group of enemies whose true extent only he/she recognizes
5. Todorovs theory Todorovs theory suggests that most narratives start with a state of equilibrium in which life is normal, in thrillers the main protagonists state of normality is usually disrupted by an outside force such as an event or stranger. Although Todorovs’ theory states that the narrative ends in requilibrium, many thrillers end with disequilibrium Equilibrium Disequilibrium Requilibrium
6. Codes and conventions of thriller genre <ul><li>Thrillers usually contain a lot of false paths, clues and enigmas, this keeps the audience questioning the film and captures their attention by constantly trying to solve these questions. </li></ul><ul><li>Shadows are often used to represent a persons inner darkness, which also add to the tension </li></ul><ul><li>Quick shots are used frequently in thriller films to accentuate the feeling of suspense </li></ul><ul><li>Black and white filming is used as it emphasizes the use of shadows and appears quite eerie </li></ul>
7. <ul><li>Conventions we plan to use: </li></ul><ul><li>Enigma code: The ending could have multiple readings e.g. something is about to happen, he is just paranoid </li></ul><ul><li>Fast cuts to increase tension </li></ul><ul><li>Shadows to make it more eerie </li></ul><ul><li>Over the shoulder shots to show the character feels like he is being followed. </li></ul>