• Contemporary African American artist.
• Lives and works in New York
• Answer the questions about her work on the
Michalene Thomas worksheet.
• Mickalene Thomas is an
African American artist that
specializes in portraits of black
1. What does Mackalene Thomas specialize in?
2. Describe the painting on this slide in a
• In her paintings she is trying to
show how black women are
beautiful portraying them as
beautiful people, not sexual
3. In this picture, how is Mackalene showing
that his woman is beautiful without making
4. How would she have to change this picture to
make it about sex? (Without actually including
• She includes bright patterns in her
painting influenced by how people
decorated their homes in the 70’s
to show the womens creative side
and show you who they are as
5. Why does Mackalene show the bright
patterns in her work?
6. How do you decorate your room? What does
it express about you? (Example, I have posters
of my favorite musicians on the wall, to
express what I like)
7. How does your family decorate where you
live? What does it express about them?
• She poses the women in non
sexual poses. She wants them to
be beautiful but without
8. What does objectification mean?
9. What is the opposite of objectification?
• She is inspired by her mother, who was a fashion
model herself. Many of Mickalenes portraits are
of her mother.