Check out the website and look out for the book. Thanks very much
10 Things I’Ve Learned As A Planner
10 things I’ve learned as 26 year old John Griffiths Planning Above and Beyond Bill Gates in 1983 Measurement camp Dec 9 th 2009
1. Quant researcher <ul><li>Sample – don’t just pick up whatever you find only scavengers do that </li></ul><ul><li>Decide if you are a hunter or a cultivator – they work differently and it takes different skills to do it well </li></ul>
2. Qual researcher <ul><li>Human beings leak – they can’t NOT tell you what they think and feel </li></ul><ul><li>They also don’t say what they mean or mean what they say </li></ul>
3. Advertising planner <ul><li>Land grab – Ad agencies claim the credit for ALL brand effects – even if advertising only accounts for some </li></ul><ul><li>Grab your own slice of the cake: own share of buzz </li></ul>
4. Direct Marketing Planner <ul><li>You can measure anything – if you try hard enough (and you can’t if you think its too difficult) </li></ul><ul><li>Paint with numbers like an impressionist not a fundamentalist </li></ul><ul><li>Don’t let the finance people bamboozle you with precision </li></ul>
6. Integrated comms planner <ul><li>Measure the added value of the customer’s experience – not whether the creative idea has been executed in an integrated way.. </li></ul><ul><li>The easier it is to get hold of a measure – the more useless it usually is – </li></ul>
7. Network/Channel Planner <ul><li>2 degrees of separation. More useful than any of the other 5 </li></ul><ul><li>Lumpiness is much more interesting than homogeneous mass audiences </li></ul>
8. Digital Planner <ul><li>Everyone who links and posts online is by definition not average </li></ul><ul><li>So aim off the outliers.. </li></ul>
9. Content planner <ul><li>There’s really no excuse for making everything yourself – content has its own gravitational weight for attracting audiences – so use gravity to locate them </li></ul>
10. Lay Minister <ul><li>What is really going on is more interesting than what is supposed to be going on. Follow the Spirit! </li></ul><ul><li>The health of an community is measured by the size of the fringe - Measure that </li></ul><ul><li>Spend less time in church – you WILL become the establishment </li></ul>
Happy Measuring! www.planningaboveandbeyond.com John Griffiths (44) 7740 125794 [email_address] www.waggledancers.com www.webjam.com/cloud_of_knowing @johngriffiths7 Blog Further and Faster text analytics in research open source project how strategists create momentum inside companies
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.