1. Living by the BookAn Introduction to Bible Study Methods Week 2
2. Where have we been?• Observation• Interpretation• Application• Correlation
3. Titus 3:3-8For we also once were foolishourselves, disobedient, deceived,enslaved to various lusts andpleasures, spending our life inmalice and envy, hateful, hatingone another.
4. Titus 3:3-8But when the kindness of God ourSavior and His love for mankindappeared, He saved us, not on the basisof deeds which we have done inrighteousness, but according to Hismercy, by the washing of regenerationand renewing by the Holy Spirit,whom He poured out upon us richlythrough Jesus Christ our Savior, so thatbeing justified by His grace we wouldbe made heirs according to the hope ofeternal life.
5. Titus 3:3-8This is a trustworthy statement;and concerning these things Iwant you to speak confidently, sothat those who have believed Godwill be careful to engage in gooddeeds. These things are good andprofitable for men.
6. Where are we going?• Observation• Interpretation• Application• Correlation
7. Interpretation Applying meaning to what has been observed.Interpretation is perhaps the mostdifficult and time-consuming ofthese three steps [observation,interpretation, and application]. Basic Bible Interpretation by Roy Zuck
8. Interpretation How wide is the divide? Chronological Biblical World Today’s World•Actual people Geographical •Actual people•Actual places •Actual places Cultural•Actual problems •Actual problems•Actual encounters Linguistic •Actual encounters Literary Supernatural
9. Interpretation• Hazards to Avoid – Misreading the text – Distorting the text – Contradicting the text – Subjectivism – Relativism – Overconfidence
10. Interpretation• Five Keys to Interpretation – Content – Context – Comparison – Culture – Consultation