- Describe any sexual harassment you have noticed or experienced since last session.
- What were your feelings and thought about the sexual harassment discussion?
- Sexual harassment can lead to sexual assault.
- Men may sexually assault women or girls in situation we might not expect them to, such as families or dates.
- 1 in every 4 girls in US under 18 are sexually assaulted.
- Sexual assaults could occur as incest or child sexual assault, when a father, step father, or other adult molests a child.
- Boyfriend or acquaintance rape.
- Stranger rapes are not that common.
- Women are never to blame for being raped! However, they often do.
- How might a girl or woman be affected when someone she trusts rapes her?
- What are some of the possible physical effects?
- What are some of the possible emotional effects?
- How do women get blamed for being sexually assaulted? What are some question we ask about her or her behavior that focus the attention on her rather than on the man who was violent?
- Have you ever blamed another woman for being assaulted? Have you heard other people do so?
- It can separate women from one another.
- The victim may be too embarrassed or ashamed to tell anyone.
- If she tells, family or close friends might blame her or distance themselves.
- It takes a lot of courage to talk about being assaulted. But that’s when the healing process begins.
A Personal Experience of Violence
- We’ve talked about partner abuse, harassment and sexual assault.
- These can have long-term effects on our lives.
Supporting Women and Resisting Male Violence
- What are some ways in which women are resisting male violence in your community?
- What does a man need from other women and from male allies in order to heal and fight back against assault?
- How could you be a better ally to other young women when they experience male violence?
- How could you join the fight against male violence?
- What is one thing that you could do, as your own ally, to help yourself heal from the effects of past violence?
- 24 HOUR DOMESTIC VIOLENCE & SEXUAL ASSAULT CRISIS LINE
- Think about a time when a man came through for you.
- Who was that man and what did he provide?