Originally known as “Main Hall” or “Macy Manual Arts Building,” Macy Hall was named after V. Everit Macy, a man who had a passion for teaching woodcarving to underprivileged young men. Its intended use included a space for art education and instruction.
Originally named Milbank Hall, it is now known as Zankel Hall. The chapel retains the Milbank name, however.
The funds were donated by Joseph Milbank who stipulated that there be a chapel in the hall, a memorial to his parents.
The decorations in the chapel include stenciling by Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company and 5 stained glass windows at the rear of the room representing science, art, literature, the Old Testament, and the New Testament.
Contained a gymnasium, swimming pool, handball courts, bowling alleys, exercise rooms, locker and shower rooms. The space was used to teach and train those interested in becoming physical education teachers.
Building a gym on campus was significant given that women had been forbidden to use the gym at Columbia University. Dean Russell foresaw a need to train physical education teachers and realized that this required an adequate space.
Thompson still has its original swimming pool. Though it has undergone significant renovations, it retains its original style.
Thompson Hall. June 2009, after undergoing $1 Million in renovations TC Aquatic Center in 1900
Designed by Bruce Price in Association with J.M.A. Darragh
This dorm opened in response to a lack of housing for the young women attending TC. Here they were under the watchful eyes of chaperones. At one point, the NY Times declared Whittier Hall as a “beehive of single femininity.”
This building is one of, if not the, most recognizable on the TC campus thanks to its eye-catching tower topped with an appealing turret. It was built in response to overcrowding at the college and currently offers five floors dedicated to library collections, reading rooms, classrooms, and offices.
Athletics, theater arts, and religion all played major roles in the early years of TC's development up until the late 1920s.
Wanting to promote a sense of (comm)unity, the Student Club formed. This was initially a social club but eventually morphed into a student government. This progression into more professional forays from social clubs became the norm as less emphasis was placed on social unity.
From the Teachers College yearbook, 1919
The Students. TC grads in 1919… … and in 2008 (photo credit given to Ryan Brenizer)
There are now approximately 30 active student-run organizations on the Teachers College campus. In addition to the Student Senate , which advocates for students in the TC community, there are a number of affinity groups (e.g. Teachers College Taiwanese Club, Queer TC), as well as academic organizations (e.g. Society for Economics and Education, Organizational Leadership Association), and just plain fun (e.g. TC Recreational Soccer Club). The range of student organizations undoubtedly represents the diversity of the current student body.