Research Stages During my research for my final product I did a questionnaire with my target audience in the style of a vox pop. This helped me identify what exactly it was that they wanted to see in a magazine and this helped me address my audience during the production stages of my magazine. I also analyzed magazines of the pop genre to get more familiar with the codes and conventions of that genre. This helped me produce a professional looking magazine with all of the appropriate generic conventions. If this was not done my magazine probably wouldve turned out looking like my prelim task.
Planning stages During the planning stages of my magazine I came up with story ideas, the concept, masthead ideas and sketches for my magazine and pitched them to my class for feedback. The feedback was positive so I based my magazine around all of the feedback from my initial pitch. This helped have a rough idea of what I wanted the magazine to look like when producing the final product. There was no planning stage really during the preliminary execise and this is why the final outcome did not look anywhere near as professional as my final product. I also created release forms in order to gain permission to take my pictures in the locations I took them in and to use the model I wanted to use.
Using Software I think one of the main improvements since my preliminary task was definitely my abilities to use softwares such as Photoshop. This is very obvious by looking at my cover/contents pages in comparison. When producing my final product I had more of an idea what a professional magazine looks like and what are the generic conventions. This aided my effectively during the production process.
Photography My photography skills have definitely improved also, my old images I took were very plain and boring, I also photographed them all in black and white and all in one location thinking this would make them look more professional. When taking the pictures for my final product I experimented with a range of different angles, props, lighting and locations. I also didn’t photograph them in black and white and overall they look much more professional than my old images I took.
Layout I always had a rough idea of what the layouts for music magazines look like but I was not as familiar with the codes and conventions and how to present those layouts successfully. Knowing all of this whilst making my final product made my final look much more professional and it followed many more of the conventions of the genre of pop.
Technologies During the preliminary task I was not familiar with any other technologies. The only ones I knew were PowerPoint and Photoshop. My presentation for my final product was much more professional looking thanks to using technologies such as Yola, Prezi, Slideshare and Vimeo.
Attracting an audience Thanks to the planning of my final product I was able to find out what my target audience is attracted to on a magazine. Eye catching cover lines, main images and mastheads are only a few of the things that helped me attract my audience more. During the prelim task I had no idea what the audience wanted or looked for in a magazine.
Conclusion I think that in conclusion the improvements from my prelim to my final product can be seen very clearly. This was done because of my feedback from my target audience, being more familiar with codes and conventions of my genre, being more familiar with Photoshop and other technologies and knowing how to use them more effectively and also knowing more about taking pictures and experimenting with lighting and various locations.