1. A GLOBAL VIEW OF MOBILE ADVERTISING: Africa Regional Summary Q3 2011 InMobi Mobile Insights - Network Data Release date: October 25th, 2011
2. ABOUT THE RESEARCHProject BackgroundAfter launching in 2007 in Asia, InMobi quickly grew to become the worlds largest independentmobile advertising network. In the third quarter of 2011, we served 138.4 billion impressions in 165markets worldwide. With a physical presence in 5 continents, over 5,500 publisher partners, and abroad, independent market footprint, InMobi is well positioned to provide an objective,comprehensive, and representative view of the mobile advertising market.Research ObjectivesWe have three goals with this research:1. Help educate the market. Statistics and information about the state of mobile advertising are lacking in most regions of the world.2. Track consumer opinions regarding mobile advertising. With any emerging medium, the consumer perspective is critical to overall market success. We see a need for trending across regions in this area.3. Collaborate with industry thought leaders to increase market insight and improve information quality ongoing. As a global independent company, we value partnerships that will strengthen our understanding of the market. Researchers, thought-leaders, and analysts are encouraged to contact us and apply for full partner access. Beginning July 2011, InMobi is moving towards Contact Information quarterly data views which will highlight broader www.inmobi.com/research industry trends and provide an overview of the firstname.lastname@example.org global mobile advertising market. Twitter: @inmobi
3. NETWORK DATASpecificationsData in this report are sourced from our global mobile advertising network which served 138.4 billionimpressions in the third quarter of 2011. With 165 countries receiving over 50.4 billion impressions inSeptember, we are able to claim one of the broadest and most representative networks in the world. Exactspecifications are as follows:• Global Available Impressions in Quarter 3, 2011: 138.4 billion• Regions Represented: Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East, North America, and South America• Countries Represented: 114 countries with over 10 million impressions per month• Base Measure: Available Impressions• Reports: Market Summary, Manufacturer Share, OS Share, and Top Handsets & Connected Devices• Time Periods: Q2 2011 (April – June 2011), Q3 2011 (July – September 2011)• Comparisons: Q3 2011 versus Q2 2011RepresentationInMobi is committed to an independent and transparent leadership position in mobile advertising. With that in mind,the following issues are present in this data.Mobile Advertising Market Definition: This report covers mobile display advertising only including both Mobile Web(WAP) and APP. SMS/Text and Search are NOT included in this synopsis.Scale and Time In Market: Representation within the network is a function of the both scale and time in market.Readers can expect more fluctuation and variance in younger, smaller markets for the company.Publisher Mix: As with any ad network, market representation is a function of the publisher mix. We have over5,000 publishers of all sizes and content types, but changes to the publisher mix in a given market could impact thedata.Advertiser Mix: Similar to publisher mix, the advertiser mix could impact the numbers in our network, although to amuch lesser extent than publishers.
4. AFRICA SUMMARYAfrica Regional Profile: Q3 2011 Africa mobile impressions grew by 26% over the past quarter on the InMobi network. " InMobi now serves over 15.4 billion impressions per quarter in Africa. The volume of mobile impressions in Africa signifies the reach mobile devices can offer local, regional and global brands. The majority of impressions in Africa are on Advanced phones, with a 23.5% growth rate this quarter. " While Smartphones make up a smaller percentage of impressions in this market, they have a faster growth rate than Advanced phones Available Impression Volume & Composition Global Impressions on Apps more than Q2 2011 Q3 2011 % Chg Development doubled this quarter, but still make Index Total 12,238,229,301 15,405,299,486 25.9% n/a up a small percentage of totalSmartphone 1,915,598,390 2,658,001,592 38.8% 43 impressions.Advanced 10,322,630,911 12,747,297,894 23.5% 168 " As Smartphone penetration increases AppMobile Web 12,182,801,767 15,289,194,509 25.5% 126 impressions will likely increase in this market App 55,427,534 116,104,977 109.5% 4 Source: InMobi Mobile Insights – Network Research, Q3 2011
5. AFRICA Africa OS Share: Q3 2011 Available Impressions Global Nokia OS OS Impressions % Share Pt. Chg Development Index Symbian OS 31% Nokia OS 5,778,165,075 37.5% +0.1 206 38% RIM OS Symbian OS 3,664,100,634 23.8% -0.6 135 Android RIM OS 780,553,970 5.1% +1.4 53 iPhone OS Android 253,427,774 1.6% +0.9 71% Others iPhone OS 178,427,370 1.2% +0.3 11 2% 5% Others 4,750,624,663 31% -2.1 n/a 24% The Nokia and Symbian platforms dominate the Africa market; the 3rd largest OS is RIM with 5% of impressions. " Nokia and Symbian combined make up about 61% of impressions in this market. " Android and iPhone OS are still relatively small in this market due to low Smartphone penetration. Source: InMobi Mobile Insights – Network Research, Q3 2011
6. AFRICAAfrica Manufacturer Share: Q3 2011 Available Impressions Global Manufacturer Impressions % Share Pt. Chg Development 4% 1% 1% 3% 1% Index Nokia Nokia 9,419,142,057 61.1% -0.5 171 Samsung Samsung 2,873,570,619 18.7% -0.8 104 5% SonyEricsson SonyEricsson 840,392,701 5.5% -0.5 96 5% RIM LG RIM 780,553,970 5.1% +1.4 53 Motorola LG 540,956,049 3.5% +0.2 85 Alcatel 19% Motorola 198,131,866 1.3% -0.3 49 61% Apple Others Alcatel 186,146,673 1.2% +0.2 412 Apple 178,427,370 1.2% +0.3 11 Others 387,978,181 2.5% -0.1 n/a Manufacturer share in Africa remained generally consistent with last quarter. " Nokia and Samsung make up about 80% of impressions in Africa. " … Source: InMobi Mobile Insights – Network Research, Q3 2011
7. AFRICAAfrica Handset and Connected Device Detail: Q3 2011 Global Handset Impressions % Share Pt. Chg Development Index Nokia 6300 546,133,066 3.5% -0.2 196 RIM BlackBerry 8520 491,231,271 3.2% +0.8 107 Samsung SGH E250i 427,096,077 2.8% -0.5 813 Nokia 3110c 396,140,307 2.6% -0.5 169 Nokia N70 375,307,776 2.4% -0.5 209 Nokia 1680c 348,055,699 2.3% -0.3 569 Nokia N73 302,482,323 2.0% -0.1 156 Nokia N2700 Classic 289,869,535 1.9% +0.5 205 Nokia C1-01 285,815,959 1.9% +0.9 147 Nokia 6120c 276,084,936 1.8% +0.1 221 Nokia C3-00 266,983,514 1.7% +0.6 129 Nokia 5130 264,901,876 1.7% +0.3 191 Samsung SGH-E250 247,225,741 1.6% -0.4 549 Nokia E63 226,946,956 1.5% +0.0 133 Nokia X2-01 216,502,125 1.4% +1.4 164Nokia devices dominate the list of top device models" No single device stands out with high share" … Source: InMobi Mobile Insights – Network Research, Q3 2011
8. AFRICA Africa Summary: Q3 2011 Available Impression Volume & Composition Top 5 Manufacturers: % Share of Available Impressions Q2 2011 Q3 2011 % Chg Q2 2011 Q3 2011 Pt. Chg Total 12,238,229,301 15,405,299,486 25.9% Nokia 61.6% 61.1% -0.5Smartphone 1,915,598,390 2,658,001,592 38.8% Samsung 19.5% 18.7% -0.8Advanced 10,322,630,911 12,747,297,894 23.5% SonyEricsson 6.0% 5.5% -0.5Mobile Web 12,182,801,767 15,289,194,509 25.5% RIM 3.7% 5.1% +1.4 App 55,427,534 116,104,977 109.5% LG 3.3% 3.5% +0.2 Top Countries within Region: % Share of Available Top 3 OS Systems: % Share of Available Impressions Impressions Q2 2011 Q3 2011 Pt. Chg Q3 2011 Pt. Chg Nokia OS 37.4% 37.5% +0.1 Nigeria 21.6% +2.4 South Africa 20.3% -0.9 Symbian OS 24.4% 23.8% -0.6 Egypt 11.6% -0.8 RIM OS 3.7% 5.1% +1.4 " InMobi’s Africa network grew by about 26% in Q3. " Growth rates were highest among Smartphones and Apps, however most impressions in the region are delivered via Advanced phones and Mobile Web. " Within the region, Nigeria and South Africa experienced the highest mobile ad growth rates. " The Nokia and Symbian platforms dominate the market; RIM OS is a distant third. Source: InMobi Mobile Insights – Network Research, Q3 2011
9. MEASURES AND TERM DEFINITIONSMeasures:Available Impressions: The total number of ads requests made to the InMobi network% Share (of Available Impressions): The % of total available impressions in the specified region allocated to the inventory type, device,manufacturer, or OS under analysis.Global Development Index: An index of the % share of the inventory type, device, manufacturer, or OS under analysis in the specifiedregion or country relative to that same inventory type, device, manufacturer, or OS share globally.Regional Development Index: Global Development Index: An index of the % share of the inventory type, device, manufacturer, or OSunder analysis in the specified country relative to that same inventory type, device, manufacturer, or OS share in the relevant region.% Chg: The percentage change in absolute value between two different time periods.Pt Chg: The difference between two share percentages for an inventory type, device, manufacturer, or OS under analysis in different timeperiods.Definitions:Smartphone: Any impression served to an iPhone OS, Android OS, RIM OS, webOS, Windows Mobile OS, Linux Smartphone OS, PalmOS, Nokia N & E Series Phones, or Samsung Bada.Advanced: Any impression served to any OS or handset not included in the smart phone definition above.Mobile Web: Any impression served using Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) which is an open international standard for application-layer network communications in a wireless-communication environment.App (Application): Any impressions served to a mobile application resident on the consumer mobile device.Carrier: The mobile network operator (MNO), carrier service provider (CSP), wireless service provider, wireless carrier, or cellularcompany providing service for mobile phone subscriber served the impression.OS (Operating System): The system software (programs and data) running on the mobile devices that manages the hardware andprovides common services for execution of various application software receiving the impression.Handsets and Connected Device: The make and model of the mobile device receiving the impression.Manufacturer: The OEM manufacturer of the mobile device receiving the impression.Other: An aggregation of any remaining impressions not specifically detailed previously. Typically an aggregation of everything under 1%share.InMobi Regional Definitions:InMobi defines all regions per Wikipedia with the following modifications:“Asia Pacific” includes the 15 Oceania countries as listed in Wikipedia.“South America” includes South & Central Americas as listed in Wikipedia.
10. NEXT STEPSThis data is part of a series of network reports that are released monthly.Additional regions and markets will be released throughout the quarter.Release ScheduleOnce a quarter InMobi will release a full data report which will include global, regional and countrydata views. The next full release is planned for mid January. Infographics with monthly data will beavailable in November and December. Monthly data updates including key information by market willbe released via our mailing lists and website.While we move to a quarterly release schedule, we will still continue to release insightful data on keymarkets across regions on a monthly basis. These releases will shed light on emerging trends andunique developments specific to those key markets.Open Source Research: Getting InvolvedObjective industry analysts and thought-leaders are encouraged to comment, question, andparticipate. We will be sure to consider and update the research based on feedback and questionsto improve the quality for all end users.To join our monthly research mailing list, contact us at Research@InMobi.comTo download the full reports, visit us at www.InMobi.com/research