1. Environment andNatural Resources Management Presented by: JOHN A. LIWANAG, C.E. Master in Management Engineering Pangasinan State University Graduate School Urdaneta City
2. Brief History of the Organization:P.D. 461 dated May 1974 created the Department of Agriculture andNatural Resources (DANR);In 1978, the DANR became the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR);E.O. No. 967 of 1984 transferred the management of fisheries sector fromthe MNR to the Ministry of Agriculture through the BFAR;E.O. No. 131 of January 1987 created the Department ofEnergy, Environment and Natural Resources (DENR);E.O. No. 192 of June 1987 reorganized the present Department ofEnvironment and Natural Resources (DENR)
3. Official Mandate The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) is the primary government agency responsible forthe sustainable development of the country’s environment and natural resources.
4. Goals and Objectives Promotion of Sustainable Implementation Sustainable Intensification social equity Protection of Rehabilitation management of community-development of of mineral and people’s the remaining of denuded and and optimal based forestthe ecologically exploration and participation in natural forests; marginal areas; utilization of managementcritical uplands; development; environmental land resources; programs; governance;
5. Goals and Objectives Generation of data andSurvey, allocation Delineation and Promotion of Improvement of technologies forand disposition of Rationalization of Preservation of management of efficiency in air and water the proper alienable and the disposition of biological people’s mining natural resource- quality in urban utilization anddisposable (A&D) public lands; diversity; areas; based industries; areas; management of lands; natural ecosystems.
6. MissionTo promote the well being of theFilipino through sustainabledevelopment of forest resources;optimal utilization of lands andminerals; social equity and efficiencyin resource use; and effectiveenvironmental management.
7. VisionThe Philippines - a country of lushforests, clear skies and waters, andbountiful land; a strong, dynamicnation of empowered people living indignity, at peace with each other andin harmony with nature.
8. FunctionsFOREST MANAGEMENT SERVICE(FMS) Divisions:• Formulates and A. Forest Resources recommends policies Development Division and/or programs for the (FRDD) effective protection, development, o B. Forest Resources ccupancy, management and Conservation Division conservation of forest lands (FRCD) and watersheds.
9. FunctionsLAND MANAGEMENT SERVICE(LMS) Divisions:• Formulates and A. Surveys Division (SD) recommends policies and B. Land Management Division programs for the efficient and effective (LMD) administration, survey, management and disposition of A & D lands of the public domain and other lands outside the responsibility of other government agencies.
10. FunctionsPROTECTED AREAS, WILDLIFE ANDCOASTAL ZONE MANAGEMENTSERVICES (PAWCSMZ) Divisions:• Formulates and recommends A. Protected Areas and policies, guidelines, rules and Wildlife Division (PAWD) regulations for the establishment and B. Coastal Marine management of national Management Division parks, wildlife sanctuaries and (CMMD) refuges, marine parks and biospheric reserves; preservation of biological diversity, genetic resources, and the endangered Philippine flora and fauna.
11. FunctionsECOSYSTEMS RESEARCH ANDDEVELOPMENT SERVICE (ERDS) Divisions:• Formulates and A. Technology Transfer recommends an integrated Division (TTD) research program relating B. Ecosystems Resources and to Philippine ecosystem and Research Division (ERRD) natural resources.
12. Agency Services1.REQUIRED ENR Refer to information POLICIES, PLANS, and advocacy services INFORMATION AND which are particularly PERTINENT ADVOCACY aimed at instituting SERVICES INITIATED, understanding and GENERATED AND appreciation for the COORDINATED environment by the general public.
13. Agency Services2. ECOSYSTEMS Relates to the PROTECTED, ENHANCED rehabilitation of AND DEGRADED ONES degraded ecosystem REHABILITATED. ( forests, watersheds, coa stal waters, mangroves, etc. ) through structural, vegetative and other pertinent measures.
14. Agency Services3. RESOURCE USE AND These services are related ACCESS MANAGED to natural resource WITHIN THE utilization and access. FRAMEWORK OF Involves placing under SUSTAINABLE relevant and regulatory DEVELOPMENT AND instruments on natural EQUITY resources. CONSIDERATIONS
15. Agency Services4. ENR LAWS AND PERTINENT Relates to DENR’s exercise RULES AND REGULATIONS of its police powers in TRICTLY ENFORCED AND exercising ENR laws, rules COMPLIANCE REGULARLY and regulations in MONITORED IN coordination with other law COORDINATION WITH enforcement and regulatory PERTINENT LAW agencies. It covers ENFORCEMENT monitoring services to AUTHORITIES AND prevent occurrence of DEVELOPING AGENCIES environmental hazards/disasters and undue exploitation of the natural resources.
16. Agency Services5. ENVIRONMENTAL- These services are FRIENDLY RESOURCE provided to the various PRODUCTION AND sectors of the society as a UTILIZATION result of the research TECHNOLOGIES activities in DEVELOPED, DISSEMINAT developing, disseminating ED AND PROMOTED and promoting technologies and approaches that are consistent with the principles of ecology and sustainable development.
17. Attached Agencies/Bureaus• Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB)• Environmental Management Bureau (EMB)• National Mapping Resource Institute Agency (NAMRIA)