11 31 anaerobic vs. aerobicPresentation Transcript
Do Now What are the raw materials and products of the biological process that makes energy for cells? Explain what ATP is used for in organisms.
Aerobic Cellular RespirationOxygen + Glucose Carbon Dioxide + Water +Energy Remember, it’s all the same materials as photosynthesis – but backwards! Oxygen makes it “Aerobic”
What do we use ATP for? Why do respiration? For cellular activities, life functions, to excrete waste, to make more energy; to make “stuff” happen ◦ We can’t do the life functions without energy!
Regents Review To remain healthy, organisms must be able to obtain materials, change the materials, move the materials around, and get rid of waste. These activities directly require1. energy from ATP2. the replication of DNA3. nutrients from inorganic sources4. manipulation of altered genes
difference between aerobicrespiration and anaerobicrespiration?
Aerobic Cellular Respiration “Aerobic” ◦ Oxygen is required for final steps of respiration ◦ Need oxygen to break bonds in glucose ◦ Breaking bonds releases energy Formula: Our energy pathway needs oxygen, so we need oxygen! That’s why we breathe (or RESPIRE).
Anaerobic Cellular Respiration “Anaerobic” ◦ No oxygen is used in this respiration ◦ Predict when this type of respiration would occur. During intense exercise when you cannot get enough oxygen Anaerobic respiration can’t keep up with your exercise forever! Formula:
Predict: Which type makes more ATP? Why? Anaerobic Respiration - 2 ATP!! Can make 18x more energy with oxygen! Aerobic Respiration – 36 ATP
Regents Review An investigation was carried out and the results are shown in the diagrams. Substance X resulted from a metabolic process that produces ATP in yeast (a single-celled fungus). Which statement best describes substance X?1. It is oxygen released by protein synthesis.2. It is glucose that was produced in photosynthesis.3. It is starch that was produced during digestion.4. It is carbon dioxide released by respiration.
Regents ReviewAnaerobic respiration is considered to be lessefficient than aerobic respiration because1. Less lactic acid is formed during anaerobic respiration than aerobic respiration2. Anaerobic respiration requires more oxygen than aerobic respiration3. The net gain of ATP molecules is less in anaerobic respiration than in aerobic respiration4. Less energy is required during anaerobic respiration than aerobic respiration
Where does the other energygo? 38% of energy in glucose ATP The rest – 62% – is given off as HEAT! ◦ That’s why you feel warmer when you exercise
Lactic Acid A byproduct of Anaerobic Respiration Creates that “sore” feeling the next day after intense exercise
Regents Review Which statement best describes one of the events taking place in the chemical reaction ?1. Energy is being stored as a result of aerobic respiration.2. Fermentation is taking place, resulting in the synthesis of ATP.3. Energy is being released for metabolic activities.4. Photosynthesis is taking place, resulting in the storage of energy.
Energy usage vs. time When you need quick energy… ◦ You have enough ATP for 10 seconds ◦ Muscles can produce activity from stored ATP Ex: 40 yard dash, lifting weights ◦ Up to 90 seconds of activity… lactic acid fermentation can produce enough ATP ex: 200 meter race, long play in football
Energy usage vs. time Long-term energy needs respiration ◦ Longer than 90 seconds ◦ ATP supplied by cellular respiration Ex: mile run, marathon, long walk This energy is released slower than glycolysis/fermentation
Energy Stores Glycogen ◦ Energy stored in muscles, liver ◦ Chains of sugars Fat ◦ Extra energy didn’t use in food ◦ Can convert back to glucose! ◦ Very efficient energy source – 9 kcal/g
Regents ReviewIn the demonstration shown in the diagram,which process performed by the peas whenthey start to grow causes the drop of liquidto move to the left?1. protein synthesis2. photosynthesis3. digestion4. cellular respiration
Regents ReviewAn investigation was carried out and the results areshown in the diagrams. Substance X resulted from ametabolic process that produces ATP in yeast (asingle-celled fungus).Which statement best describes substance X?1.It is oxygen released by protein synthesis.2.It is glucose that was produced in photosynthesis.3.It is starch that was produced during digestion.4.It is carbon dioxide released by respiration.