The fourth commandment honor they father and mother-catholic nab and cathechismPresentation Transcript
• “He (Jesus) went down with them (His parents) then, and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them” Luke 2:51
• This commandment is expressed in positive terms of duties to be fulfilled. It introduces the subsequent commandments which are concerned with particular respect for life, marriage, earthly goods, and speech. It constitutes one of the foundations of the social doctrine of the Church.
• 2214 The divine fatherhood is the source of human fatherhood;16 this is the foundation of the honor owed to parents. the respect of children, whether minors or adults.• 2215 Respect for parents (filial piety)• 2216 Filial respect is shown by true docility and obedience.• 2217 As long as a child lives at home with his parents, the child should obey his parents in all that they ask of him when it is for his good or that of the family.
2218 The fourth commandment reminds grown children oftheir responsibilities toward their parent2219 Filial respect promotes harmony in all of family life2220 For Christians a special gratitude is due to those fromwhom they have received the gift of faith, the grace ofBaptism, and life in the Church. These may include parents,grandparents, other members of the family, pastors,catechists, and other teachers or friends.
EPHESIANS 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord:for this is right.This means that what we are obeying is God’s authoritydelegated to our parents.We are to obey God rather than menNecessity to honor your parents does not ceaseWe must respect, revere and love our parentsWe treat them as we do because we do it unto the Lord.It is Jesus we honor by honoring them.
• “Children, be obedient to your parents in all things, for this is well-pleasing to the Lord.”• Importance of needing to follow this command• Erosion of society• “To the Children in All of Us“• CHILDREN MUST LEARN TO RESPECT AUTHORITY• Respect for authority is a key principle throughout the Bible.• CHILDREN MUST BE TAUGHT GODLINESS
• The Bible was so insistent on this principle listen to the counsel it gives:• Exodus 21:15, 15 "Anyone who attacks his father or his mother must be put to death.• Exodus 21:17 "Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death."• In Leviticus 20:9 we read, "If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother, and his blood will be on his own head."• Prov. 30:17 "The eye that mocks a father, that scorns obedience to a mother, will be pecked out by the ravens of the valley, will be eaten by the vultures."