3. Abbreviations: 1. Pressure equalizing tube (PE tube) Small tube surgically placed in a child’s eardrum to assist in drainage of trapped fluid and to equalize pressure between the middle ear cavity and the atmosphere.
4. Contd. 2. eye, ear, nose and throat (EENT)
5. Contd. 3. bone conduction (BC) Bone conduction is the conduction of sound waves to the inner ear through the bones of the skull.
6. Contd. 4. both ears (AU) Just as we use two eyes to see in three dimensions, we use two ears to perceive the world of sound around us.
7. Contd.5. otitis media (OM): Is an infection of the middle ear Seen frequently in children Is often preceded by an upper respiratory infection
8. 6. emmetropia(EM) Is the state of normal vision or proper correlation between the refractive system of the eye and the axial length of the eyeball. rays of light entering the eye parallel to the optic axis being brought to focus exactly on the retina.
9. Contd. 7. exotropia (XT) Is a condition of strabismus in which the two eyes do not line up in the same direction, and therefore, do not look at the same object at the same time.
10. Contd. 8. left eye (OS) OS stands for oculus sinister
11. Contd. 9. extraocular movement (EOM) Eye movements are controlled by muscles innervated by cranial nerves III, IV and VI. Checked by having the patient look in all directions without moving their head and ask them if they experiences any double vision.
12. Abbreviations 10. visual acuity (VA) Is acuteness or clearness of vision, which is dependent on the sharpness of the retinal focus within the eye and the sensitivity of the interpretative faculty of the brain.