1. The “How To” Social Media OverviewTips | Tricks | Platforms | TacticsDigital Space ConsultingJune 2013“Nobody ever got a client sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring.” - Me
2. The lines aren’t airplanes - they represent the real time,constant flow of data across the world
3. Digital Space ConsultingCreate. Connect. Engage.Social Media 201.5 v2Creating Your Digital Footprint…
4. Wait…About Me• Integrated marketing firm with over 10 years ofdirect advertising agency experience• Extensive expertise in core marketing – including:– Local search marketing– Pay Per Click (Google AdWords)– Search Engine Optimization– Insights and Web Analytics (Google Analytics)– Marketing Strategy– Brand Positioning– Targeting/Segmentation• Plus – I’m a dad, husband, and sports junkie• I sat in your spot and used tools like these to build my business….• And, If I wasn’t doing this - I’d love to be a PGA tour player, or storm chaser
5. Agenda• A little background• What’s this social media thing and why should I care – I’m not 22• What tools, platforms, and services should I care about• What is my short and long term strategy• How do I create the “social media me” and build my brand authority• What are the five things I can do today to impact my digital footprint,engage with my customers, and manage my time• Industrial economy vs. connected economy
6. It’s seriously like this• 695,000 Facebook status updates• 1,500 blog posts• 100+ new LinkedIn accounts• 694,455 Google searches• 98,000 Tweets• 13,000 iPhone apps downloaded
7. How to create the “Social Media” me
8. The New Reality….I was suppose to write something wittyhere…But the realityis thisYour company, product, service,brand, reputation, etc. is now a search result…If companies don’t know you’re out there,you never get the OPPORTUNITY to beconsideredThe Customer Is In CONTROL
9. All you need…is a PLATFORM
10. The Big 5 of Social Media
11. What do I need to do first? Create profiles –engage• Become a student of each platform• Engage and start conversations – offer help and answerquestions• Make sure that your profile is updated• Share useful content such as articles, etc. that your targetmarket would value• Write your profiles for who you are, what you’re about, andhow you help• Include keywords that are relevant to your type of business• Optimize your profiles to let customers, partners, vendors, andmaybe some ex’s find youGo ahead, ask the question - What’s the ROI of social media???
12. Make a Home – Claim Your Social Space – Start Engaging Be findable – What happens when someone Google’s your name? Offer help and answer questions Share useful content (Articles, Blogs) Become a student of each platform
13. Start Writing – Drive Google• Develop your personal voice• Searchable forever within Google• Multiple touch points: RSS, email, on yourwebsite• Content is king!!!!• Top places to contribute• LinkedIn Groups• Yahoo Answers• Quora• Comment on blogs:• Directories: alltop.com, Technoarti.com• Facebook postings• Google+• Twitter conversations• Demonstrate expertise and commitment to your industry, profession, and community
14. Start Listening – Drive EngagementPeople are using the Internet to talk about your brand and your products – areyou listening? Listening is easier then you think, and you don’t have to buy anexpensive monitoring tool to do it, either.Want to know what people are saying about you on Twitter? Facebook? Blogs? Forums? No problem.LinkedIn Signal – one of the most powerful sources to find shareablecontent.
15. 3 easy ways you can leverage social media• Market intelligence• Understand your customer and competitor• Track keyword mentions for yourproducts/services• Identify opportunities• Listen for keywords• Find influencers• Find prospects who are trying to find you• Build thought leadership• Become an expert in your niche• Grow your tribe / create authorityLinkedIn is a great place to learn what businesses are talking about; Twitteris a great place to learn what businesses are bitching about. – Paul Gilllin
16. But, Where Do I Get StartedPeople are using the Internet to talk about your brand, products, competitors,customers, and clients – are you listening? Listening is easier then you think, andyou don’t have to buy an expensive monitoring tool to do it, either.Want to know what people are saying about you on Twitter? Facebook? Blogs? Forums? No problem.Where to listen• Google Alerts• LinkedIn• Alltops.com• Search.Twitter.com• FollowerWonk.com• HelpAReporter.com (HARO)• MuckRack.com• Google Consumer Surveys• Marketingcharts.comWhere to share• Blogs• Forums• Twitter – hashtags / twitter talks• Facebook – status comments / groups• Linkedin – Groups• Quora• Review sites – Amazon / YouTube / Yelp• Yahoo Answers
17. And here is how I make it work
18. Social Media ArchitectureInes Hegedus-Garcia: Miamism.com Blogger (Realtor)
19. Have A Game Plan• Create profiles (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)• Establish a simple one page website (About.me)• Post your philosophy, passion, experience• Create a blog (WordPress, Blogger, Posterous)• Tip: Make sure they’re all in your name, or contain your nameThe key is to make yourself visible on the Internet –through your website, by blogging, and via value baseduse of social media.Platform Tools Description Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday SaturdayLinkedIn LinkedIn.com Anwers, company follow,TwitterSearch Search.twitter, wefollow, twellow.com,twitterfall.com. listorious.comKWsearchTwitterPosting HootSuite Idea, questions, articles,Facebook Posting HootSuite Build community• Questions you should always be asking yourself• Who are you writing for?• What is the purpose?• What is the call to action?• What are you measuring?
20. • What you will be able to do• Schedule tweets/Facebook/LinkedIn posts automatically• Manage multiple social profiles• http://hootsuite.com/helpThat was a lot….Can we organize the chaos ?
23. Starter Matrix – What you needCollaborationToolsContent Tools Google Tools(Chrome Extension)Get Smart ToolsMural.ly Contently Rapportive Moz.comStoryboardthat.comWriterAccess.com Boomerang Marketo.comTrello.com TextBroker.com Streak HubSpot .comSearchEngineLand.comSearchEngineWatch.comTED TalksSeth Godin (daily email)Copyblogger.com (daily email)
24. A few of the essentials...GetPocket• Save articles, blogs, websites found on-line to read later. AccessGetPocket from mobile app, or web browserCrowdSpring.com• Crowdsource logos, company names, taglines, t-shirt designs, ormarketing material to grow your business.Timetrade.com• Let clients/prospects quickly set-up meetings with you based on opentimes from your calendarDropbox.com• Store on the cloud and make your data accessible from your desktop,laptop, tablet, or smart phone (individual, team, enterprise optionsavailable)Boomerang• Auto schedule emails and follow –ups to clients, prospects, etc.
25. Two Last Things + MyWarning
26. Create Profiles- About.me- LinkedIn- Facebook- Twitter12 Find Out What People Are Searching For- Find your top 3-5 terms- People search (LinkedIn)- Google Insights3Optimize profiles- Add keywords to headlines, titles,descriptions, summary, skills, links towebsites, bios, etc.4 Find Stuff To Say / Organize Content- Google Alerts- Google Reader- LinkedIn News/Signal- Twitter List/ Listorious- SocialMention.com5 Say Something- Hootsuite- LinkedIn- Twitter- Facebook 6Measure- # Followers- # Connections- # LinkedIn Views- # LinkedIn Searches
27. Social Media Must Be A Part of Your MarketingStrategy• Gain visibility• Unlimited access to professionals , organizations,prospects, and customers in your target market• Provide transparency• Being open and honest allows you to connect withothers on common ground• Helps you “give to get”• Ask for help only after offering help to others themajority of time• Allow “nobodies” to become somebodies• Create and cultivate your personal brand
28. My Warning• It’s your brand - Own it• Once you engage – you have to stay engaged• Build community and fans will expect you to beavailable• Expect raving fans who will want to get involved• You don’t have to do everything – do something• Perfection is the enemy of good
29. Personal Branding WorkshopSocialProfileBuild YourAuthorityBuild YourBrandLinkedIn optimization X X XKeyword research X X XBuild content stream X X XHootsuite integration X XSocial profile X XContent automation X XTwitter integration(200-500 followers)XTwitter monitoring XPersonal branding –(Adwords - $100credit)XTime 2 hour 3 hour 5 hoursWhat others aresaying…“James is a true expert in the fieldof digital marketing and creatingyour brand.” – M. Schor, Director“James has been a wonderfulresource for my agency. Hemanaged to increase our digitalpresence by optimizing ourwebsite, Twitter, LinkedIn, andFacebook.” – D. Glacy, Owner“James provided exceptionalservice in creating a social mediafootprint for me in my jobsearch.” – C. Newsome, Engineer
30. Questions – Let’s ConnectDigitalspaceconsulting.comJames@digitalspaceconsulting.comFacebook.com/DigitalSpaceTwitter.com/eDigitalSpace214.263.8522Slideshare.net/Jloomstein/presentationsJames Loomstein, MBA
31. Digital Space Consulting@eDigitalSpaceThank You